How is Unbox doing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've heard about iTunes movie downloads reaching 125,000/$1million the first week. This actualy surprised me. I love me my iTunes but even with Apple behind it I was pretty sure the movie thing would flop becasue of price/features. I know I'll still be buying DVD's. But that's all besides the point, my question has to do with Amazon's Unbox service which was revealed just before. How is it doing in comparison to Apple's movie store success? Has anyone heard any numbers? Granted they also offer rentals and higher priced movies from other studios.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It actually looks quite a bad setup. Some of the rants here look unjustified but others not so much:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/15...x_to_cust.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unbox agreement

Section 3c. Removal of Software. If you uninstall or otherwise remove the Software, your ability to view all Digital Content you have downloaded to the Authorized Device will immediately and automatically terminate and we reserve the right to delete all Digital Content from that Authorized Device without notice to you.

If you remove the software, they delete your movies??

It also seems it's a Windows-only thing but then again, I could use Parallels so not a problem.

I just think the whole idea is a bit stupid. Why pay so much for DRM movies when you can get an actual DVD at higher quality and no DRM?

I think what they should do is give out DRM content that can be burned to a DVD using say idvd. That way, you get the same rights as DVD purchasers.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It actually looks quite a bad setup. Some of the rants here look unjustified but others not so much:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/15...x_to_cust.html

If you remove the software, they delete your movies??

It also seems it's a Windows-only thing but then again, I could use Parallels so not a problem.

I just think the whole idea is a bit stupid. Why pay so much for DRM movies when you can get an actual DVD at higher quality and no DRM?

I think what they should do is give out DRM content that can be burned to a DVD using say idvd. That way, you get the same rights as DVD purchasers.

Um... you realize that DVD purchasers have no rights.

Also, DVD-R's are still kinda pricey.

And that that solution is a complete pain in the ass.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Um... you realize that DVD purchasers have no rights.

Also, DVD-R's are still kinda pricey.

And that that solution is a complete pain in the ass.

True, DVD purchasers have few rights but we do have the means to get them back.

DVD-Rs are still quite expensive but the downloads are about the same price:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo..._id=bier_tcstb

"For one, the prices of downloads?from $7.99 to $14.99 for movies, $3.99 for rentals, and $1.99 for TV shows?seem likely to give pause to consumers who might expect digital downloads to be far cheaper than packaged videos. They might also hesitate at the requirement to download Amazon's proprietary video player."

Why pay the same for a lower quality version that has DRM all over it?

I agree with buying DVDs being a pain but I don't think DRM downloads is a good solution unless they make the movies cheaper and loosen the restrictions. What annoys me is that movie studios and especially the RIAA don't like downloading in any form. So, if prices are high and DRM is installed, what better way to discourage people from downloading. They aren't so much as protecting content as dictating a way of life.

Also, if you can't burn the movies to DVD and you're required to use a proprietary video player, how are you supposed to view your movies on your TV. Apple has come up with iTV but what does Amazon have?