tv on i mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
what is best way to get tv on intel i mac. is there something i can plug cable in and that connects to i mac. not interested in wireless usb. i saw something that looks sort of like mini. is picture quality good on i mac at full screen size? my goal is to loose a tv in my home office and my mac be my flatscreen. thanks for info

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes, Apple sells some USB TV peripherals on their website. You can find it in the Apple Store.

About picture quality; PAL/NTSC is *around* 700 x 600 pixels, and your iMac has a far larger resolution. So, the TV picture will be scaled. What is important for you to check out if this TV device will support true 16:9 (widescreen) which your iMac is.

But, I seriously doubt if your iMac will function as a TV. You usually sit behind your computer, on a chair, and it's pretty much a private thing going on. A TV is a whole different thing. You watch it from a distance, and the TV is placed so that more people can watch it.

So if your iMac will be your TV, how are you going to use it as a computer if it's placed like a TV? Or vice versa, can you confortably watch TV from a close distance?

The yet unreleased Apple device "iTV" (which is the code name) will change this. It will be some sort of a device that you connect to your TV. This device will be wirelessly connected to your iMac and other devices, and play media by streaming content from those machines.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i hearwhat your saying. i am looking for private tv for my home office. i have an old style tv and i want to get rid of it and either get a flat screen or better yet use my mac. by scaled down tv do you mean a 3 inch square?

i was hoping for full screen with good resolution. i watch full screen dvds, shouldn't it be as good as that?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

But, I seriously doubt if your iMac will function as a TV...

I use my 23" Cinema Display as my TV and it works just fine with EyeTV.

Massive full screen happiness?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    is eye tv usb wireless. i am looking fori mac set up, not for my macbook. so it can be hardwired to my cable. how much is eye tv?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    how about eye tv micro? anybody have experience with this?