The hard drive in my Macbook disappeared :(

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The only 'new' thing I had done this weekend was I started using the mail.app and the calendar.app.. mail.app had 40,000 emails in it, and perhaps it was grinding the drive too much? I didn't have a problem whatsoever until I started using mail.app.

Anyways, I was typing away, hit check mail it was taking it's time so I went to safari and started loading webpages and safari froze up.. so I started up activity monitor and it bounced like 30 times then the froze, then the dock froze, then everything froze. The only thing still working was the mouse cursor. Nothing else was responding, keys, etc.

So I powered off. Back on, nothing. After a LONG wait, a folder with a question mark (non-flashing) came up.

Reset PMU.. no change.. reset PRAM 4 bongs, no change.. tried booting by holding option key down.. could only see the install dvd.. ran hardware test extended 3 times, it said no problems found.. ran the disk utility in the installer to see if it could see the hard drive so I could 'repair' it. It couldn't see ANY drive installed. Just the DVD.

There is a long wait when you try doing anything at bootup because it's trying to find a drive.

So what happened? Did the hard drive crash? Or did the SATA controller on the logic board fry itself?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarch

So what happened? Did the hard drive crash? Or did the SATA controller on the logic board fry itself?

Either one sounds plausible... though the HD is way more likely.

Does Apple still ship a hardware diagnostic disk with it's machines ?... boot from that disk, run the check and see what it says.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Genius Bar?