FIle Vault's Benifits?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm a recent switcher and I'm curious as to the benefits of File Vault. XP's encrypted files didn't seem to do anything other then cause a problem if your system crash. Is there a benefit to using File Vault or is it more of a peace of mind thing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    File Vault encrypts your entire home folder (documents, emails, address book, iCal, etc.). If anyone steals your computer or gains physical access to your computer, they can not get access to your home directly without your password -- there is no way to bypass this -- to all other users, your home folder looks like a single encrypted file.

Now, what I did, was to set up iTunes to move my music library to /Users/Shared so that I didn't have to encrypt 4 Gigs of songs.

To encrypt your home directory, login, open system preferences, select Security, then set your master password. The master password gives you a secondary password in case you forget your login password.

I've been using File Vault for over 2 years with zero problems. Absolutely seemless.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't see a benefit so I don't use it. I don't keep anything personal in my home folder. If I need to encrypt stuff, I do so manually.

I also wouldn't trust file vault simply because it uses a sparse encrypted disk and although they can be reliable as long as your system doesn't crash, if your system does crash, they can be corrupted easily. I've personally seen sparse encrypted images corrupted after a system crash.

I've only ever seen one person use file vault and I turned it off for them. There was about 20GB of music in their home folder, which is not a good idea. I then showed them how to use manual encryption and they preferred it as you get more control and less risk.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I don't see a benefit so I don't use it. I don't keep anything personal in my home folder. If I need to encrypt stuff, I do so manually.

I also wouldn't trust file vault simply because it uses a sparse encrypted disk and although they can be reliable as long as your system doesn't crash, if your system does crash, they can be corrupted easily. I've personally seen sparse encrypted images corrupted after a system crash.

I've only ever seen one person use file vault and I turned it off for them. There was about 20GB of music in their home folder, which is not a good idea. I then showed them how to use manual encryption and they preferred it as you get more control and less risk.

How do you manually encrypt a file? Is it by creating an encrypted disk image using the Disk Utility and then putting stuff in there or is there a different way?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

How do you manually encrypt a file? Is it by creating an encrypted disk image using the Disk Utility and then putting stuff in there or is there a different way?

That's the method I use. Use a fixed size read/write disk image. If you run out of disk space, you just make a new image and copy your stuff over in a few minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

An alternative (not saying it's better or worse) is to use Crypt:

http://www.dekorte.com/projects/shareware/Crypt/

I keep it in my dock and just drag files to it's icon when I want to encrypt them.