Apple Updates Aperture to 1.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The event is still going on, but the feeds over in Germany have given us a taste of the update:

- iLife integration

- improved magnification up to 1600 times (them ears be BIG!)

- improved storage

- improved sharpening

- multi-image comparison

- available this week

- Free Upgrade

It's now on Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

How do we feel about the update? I just ordered a new camera and was given Aperture a good look tonight... this seems like a welcome update to me.

Will you be buying?

For 299, I think it is worth the jump up from iPhoto and will suit my new cam great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I always had troubles understanding the use of Aperture, why not use Photoshop to change hue, brightness and so on?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It's a matter of workflow. Aperture is designed to let you rate, sort, keyword and process images quickly, as well as providing the most commonly used image adjustments.

Photoshop doesn't have 9/10ths of what Aperture is good for, just as Aperture only has a tiny subset of Photoshop's image adjustment tools. The issue is whether most people need those tools that Aperture doesn't provide. Most likely they don't (at least not for most images).

No matter how fast your machine, the workflow required to use Photoshop is anything but quick.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I'm giving Aperture a good look mainly for the storage, backup and organizing features, which go beyond iPhoto. I take several hundred photos a month and want a slick interface to deal with them all. The effects in aperture are also non-destructive, which is very nice.

Personally, I don't do that much editing of the photos... either they can be used or not, with only minor adjustments. I have gotten used to my camera to the point where I can almost guarantee a useable shot (by my low standards and basic needs) before it is even imported to the computer. New cam coming the day after tomorrow that will take RAW photos at hi rez (Canon Kiss X - a.k.a. 400D in the US I think).

The printing and page layout in Aperture looks nice as well, and is easier to make use of than InDesign, etc., as the photos are within the app. Drag and drop and reformat at will.