Mac Upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I am currently running a PowerMac Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC 1GB RAM mainly for music production (Pro Tools)

Soon, I would like to switch to one of the new Intel based machines, but I am also considering switching to a laptop at the same time.

If possible, would anyone be able to tell me what sort of performance I should expect from the top end macbook pro (17") compared to my existing configuration?

Also, can anyone confirm if a docking station is available for the macbook pros?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I know it's not related to your real question, but for pro-audio I'd recommend keeping your powermac until more stuff goes to intel.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

I know it's not related to your real question, but for pro-audio I'd recommend keeping your powermac until more stuff goes to intel.

I'm trying to find the exact information to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that Pro Tools is Universal already. Whether SupMe's plug-ins are available in Universal, I don't know.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    supmesupme Posts: 3member
    Hi,

The situation at the moment is:

Pro Tools is UB

Lots, but not all plugins are UB. The main ones I use are by Native Instruments. NI is rolling out UB updates for their plugins starting this month into December, with the major products first. All of the ones I use should be here by end of this month.

Ive been trying to guage whether a new MacBook pro would be of comparable performance to my current PowerPc G5 Dual 2.3Ghz setup.

My suspicion is that itll be close, but havein said that, those new Mac Pro's look very nice and its gonna be hard to trade off the huge speeds available on them with the convenience of a MacBook Pro

I dont suppose theres any chance of apple releasing a MacBook Pro with a dual dualcore processor setup, like the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SupMe

Ive been trying to guage whether a new MacBook pro would be of comparable performance to my current PowerPc G5 Dual 2.3Ghz setup.

My suspicion is that itll be close, but havein said that, those new Mac Pro's look very nice and its gonna be hard to trade off the huge speeds available on them with the convenience of a MacBook Pro

I think the performance of a dual G5 is generally about the same as that of a Core Duo of the same clock. It varies by task though, but I don't know which one is stronger at what.

Quote:

I dont suppose theres any chance of apple releasing a MacBook Pro with a dual dualcore processor setup, like the Mac Pro?

A MacBook Pro Quad probably won't be out until the second half of next year.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Second half of next year? Sweet!

I didnt think it was gonna be possible at all.

I think second half of next year it is then

Thanks for the info JeffDM
  • Reply 6 of 6
    It's certainly going to happen, my only caution is that it's just a matter of when. Keep in mind that my prediction of when is an educated guess on my part. Intel will have to eventually make a mobile quad and I think it will happen with the next major chip revision. They will introduce a low power (50W) server quad chip the first half of next year, so that tells me that they are working that direction. I think the next chip revision is going to happen the second half of next year.