Is MacBook ram upgrading still dangerous?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Tales of woe and broken macbooks

I searched the forums. And people tell horrible stories about macbook ram upgrades going awful.

What is the status right now? I ordered the little MB yesterday and await its arrival on october 11th with bated breath. I did of course ignore the 2 gb ram upgrade that Apple offered for the low sum of 669$ (Vat included at least).

I figured a few sticks of G.skill or AData would do it. But then I read these tales of despair and broken dreams. Not to mention broken macbooks.

What is the current status of upgrading ram in a macbook?

Aparat from being robbed by apple, which options do I have for memory upgrades that will install with certainty? I do not want to apply pressure with cooking utensils or having to use calipers to measure PCB thickness.

Is the Kingston KTA-MB667 a sure fit?

Is the G.skill 1 MB sodimms still troublesome?

Have Apple changed their memory slots or is it still crappy and fragile? What is the status?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ive heard very good things about them dude. i think its just rare instances of them not working. as long as youve got ddr2 pc5300 667 dimms you should be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Them being who? Kingston, Adata, Gskill?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMACcolata

Them being who? Kingston, Adata, Gskill?

them meaning macbooks. but brandwise i wouldnt go past a good pair of corsair or kingston dimms
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well, I don't need generic brand advice. I need some actual reports on whether you can still fry your macbook upgrading ram. Are the sockets still tight for anything but made-to-fit memory modules? Which brands and types DO work, not just MIGHT work. It seems that maccles are sensitive on memory \
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I used 2 gigs of Transcend (cheap) in mine with no problems.

So... no you probably wont fry your MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    So far so good on my end. Just upgraded again from 1GB to 2GB Kingston
  • Reply 7 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I just installed to gigs of Patriot RAM yesterday. I haven't pushed the machine to the envelope yet, but it's still working.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I used 2GB of Crucial. To be honest, I haven't heard of any major problems with RAM upgrades.