1.83 or 2.0 Macbook? Anyone tried both?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have seen the thread about 1.83 ghz vs 2.0 ghz. I am inclined to buy the small version and add more ram to it.

But have anyone tried both next to each other for more than just tippy typing and browsing the web? There are obvious advantages to more megahurtz when you do heavy duty stuff like encoding, rendering and working with stuff like Photoshop. I am not doing a lot of that however.

I just wonder if there is a perceptible day to day difference in performance once a macbook has more than 512 MB?

Do apps launch slower? Is the nifty MAC OS X effects more jerky? Will scrolling word docs or picture heavy pages in Safari be perceptibly slower? Is running multiple applications noticeably slower on the 1.83 ghz model?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    No human can perceive a speed difference less than 50%. That's been my experience. You certainly can't perceive a speed difference of 8%. So I think in no way is it worth it. Apple always puts the high-end model on there to have something to upsell to.

Just think - the reason people are raving about how the MacBooks are fast is because they are five times faster - 500% not 8%.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I went with the 1.83 model and a 80 gig hd upgrade. Will arrive 10/11. Sure hope the DDR2 prices have dropped some before then!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Just think - the reason people are raving about how the MacBooks are fast is because they are five times faster - 500% not 8%.

Faster than what?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    See I really was not worried about the processor speed, I wanted the super-drive, that is the whole reason I bought my 2.0 Ghz MacBook! If you do not care about the superdrive, I would say go with the 1.83 because I doubt you would notice a difference especially since you have two processors.

-iGrant
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

See I really was not worried about the processor speed, I wanted the super-drive, that is the whole reason I bought my 2.0 Ghz MacBook! If you do not care about the superdrive, I would say go with the 1.83 because I doubt you would notice a difference especially since you have two processors.

-iGrant

yeah exactly the same here
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Faster than what?

Than the G4 notebooks that preceded them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    If you don't have an absolute need to burn DVDs on the road, It's much cheaper to get the 1.8 and a firewire enclosure and burner off NewEgg.

I put the savings towards 2 gigs of RAM that are on their way now. It should make for a much faster machine than the 2.0 w/ 512 megs.

That being said, I haven't worked with anything above 1.8 Ghz so I can't answer your specific question. But, my 1.8 Ghz iMac Core-Duo w/ 1.5 gigs o' RAM currently smokes my 1.8Ghz MacBook with 512 megs o' RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho

If you don't have an absolute need to burn DVDs on the road, It's much cheaper to get the 1.8 and a firewire enclosure and burner off NewEgg.

I put the savings towards 2 gigs of RAM that are on their way now. It should make for a much faster machine than the 2.0 w/ 512 megs.

That being said, I haven't worked with anything above 1.8 Ghz so I can't answer your specific question. But, my 1.8 Ghz iMac Core-Duo w/ 1.5 gigs o' RAM currently smokes my 1.8Ghz MacBook with 512 megs o' RAM.

See I did that route with my iBook when I was looking at buying either an iBook or a PowerBook, and I did go with the external DVD burner, but let me tell you, I regreted going down that route because I could burn the full 4.7, just about 4.2. I would highly recommend the 2.0 because the ability backup stuff with on your laptop anywhere is priceless for me.

-iGrant