Apple's Schiller joins Intel's Otellini on stage at IDF

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Raise your hand if you think that there is a strong probability that Apple will offer a second tier XServe with these Quad-core chips coming in November?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

How is that "at a stretch" at all?

Because whilst the Woodcrest Xeon's micro-architecture is Core 2, Intel do not use that term in conjunction with marketing the chip. So when Otellini says they've shipped 5 million Core 2 processors, it is unclear as to whether the Woodcrest shipments are included in that.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

Raise your hand if you think that there is a strong probability that Apple will offer a second tier XServe with these Quad-core chips coming in November?

/Raises hand
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Because whilst the Woodcrest Xeon's micro-architecture is Core 2, Intel do not use that term in conjunction with marketing the chip. So when Otellini says they've shipped 5 million Core 2 processors, it is unclear as to whether the Woodcrest shipments are included in that.

Quick correction, The architecture is called 'Core', not 'Core 2'.

I'm pretty sure he did mean the Woodcrest too otherwise he'd not have said 'servers'. Xeon is in a strange phase because they still ship the old non-Core architecture Xeons such as the low power Sossaman and IIRC they've still a Netburst chip in there as if you don't care about power consumption, Netburst is still faster despite the hype.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Quick correction, The architecture is called 'Core', not 'Core 2'.

No, it is "Core 2". Yonah is "Core", "Core" is a minor evolution of the Pentium-M and its micro-architecture is substantially different from "Core 2". Merom (Core 2) is 20% faster at the same clock speed, and is 64 bit not 32 bit.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he did mean the Woodcrest too otherwise he'd not have said 'servers'.

Good point

Quote:

Xeon is in a strange phase because they still ship the old non-Core architecture Xeons such as the low power Sossaman and IIRC they've still a Netburst chip in there

If it's not Core 2 it must be Netburst, unless they've still got PIII-based Xeons.

Quote:

Netburst is still faster despite the hype.

I haven't seen any evidence of this (I've seen plenty to the contrary). Would you care to provide some?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

No, it is "Core 2". Yonah is "Core", "Core" is a minor evolution of the Pentium-M and its micro-architecture is substantially different from "Core 2". Merom (Core 2) is 20% faster at the same clock speed, and is 64 bit not 32 bit.

Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest are the first processors in the Intel Core microarchitecture. There is no "Intel Core 2 microarchitecture". Merom and Conroe are branded as Core 2, but that's unrelated to the underpinnings. Yonah was branded as Core, but is really more of a last-generation rebranded Pentium M.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest are the first processors in the Intel Core microarchitecture.

Huh, you're right. Sorry aegis. Wouldn't it be nice if the marketing people and the technical people could talk to each other more often so crap like that doesn't happen?

Yonah was marketed as "Core" but actually doesn't have a micro-architecture called "Core"? Nice one, Intel
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

If it's not Core 2 it must be Netburst, unless they've still got PIII-based Xeons.

No. They've got three different architectures. The Xeon LV is based on Yonah.

Quote:

I haven't seen any evidence of this (I've seen plenty to the contrary). Would you care to provide some?

It depends on what you're running. There are specific applications of the older Netburst chips where they beat the newer chips. Then again, Opteron beats them both generally there. It's more about throughput than raw integer and fp performance. Remember, these are for servers not playing Doom.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Huh, you're right. Sorry aegis. Wouldn't it be nice if the marketing people and the technical people could talk to each other more often so crap like that doesn't happen?

Yonah was marketed as "Core" but actually doesn't have a micro-architecture called "Core"? Nice one, Intel

Yep. Bizarre isn't it. But lots of suckers bought Core chips thinking they were something other than a warmed over Pentium M.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Yep. Bizarre isn't it. But lots of suckers bought Core chips thinking they were something other than a warmed over Pentium M.

Well, I knew that Yonah was a warmed-over Pentium-M, I just thought, given its name, that "Warmed-over Pentium-M" was called "Core" and that the good stuff was called "Core 2".

Marketing-wise, that's correct, but architecture-name-wise, it isn't.