...(afp) due to an error: 57!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Quote:

Sep 29 12:33:20 nameofmachine DirectoryService[191]: DS (SLP) couldn't register nameofmachine (afp) due to an error: 57!

Some genius out there? What does that mean in real?

Googleing that sequence doesn't help very much. I suspect that particular error

as the culprit of some network issues and some crashes, that happend lately.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think error 57 might be that the machine you are connecting to doesn't have a Macintosh filesystem. Are you trying to connect to a Windows machine via AFP?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I think error 57 might be that the machine you are connecting to doesn't have a Macintosh filesystem. Are you trying to connect to a Windows machine via AFP?

What?! By no stretch of my imagination i come even close to the

idea that i would possibly try to connect to a godamn Windows machine.

EDIT: Well, in case you do mean this:

error -57 noMacDskErr: not a mac diskette (sig bytes are wrong)

than you're wrong. It is clearly printed 57 in the logfile, not -57.

Error code #57, isn't listed anywhere, nor mentioned anywhere.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

What?! By no stretch of my imagination i come even close to the

idea that i would possibly try to connect to a godamn Windows machine.

Then you need to clearly explain what the problem is before anyone can help you. How are we supposed to know what machines you are connecting up using what interface?

What is the spec of both machines, are they going through a router, are you using ethernet or firewire, do you have manual IPs assigned or using DHCP. Have you tried pinging the IP of the other computer using the Network utility or terminal?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Then you need to clearly explain what the problem is before anyone can help you. How are we supposed to know what machines you are connecting up using what interface?

What is the spec of both machines, are they going through a router, are you using ethernet or firewire, do you have manual IPs assigned or using DHCP. Have you tried pinging the IP of the other computer using the Network utility or terminal?

Well,...

There is basically one PB 1ghz and one iMac G3 slotloading involved. The iMac is connected (ethernet) to a Router (which comes with build in DSL modem and WLAN capabilities). The PB connects wirelessly. There are sometimes some iBooks that join the home network wirelessly too. Both running 10.3.9 with all the latest updates. No windows(TM) so far.

IPs assigned automatically. DHCP is on. Pinging goes fine.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Pinging goes fine.

That suggests something is blocking the AFP protocol. Do you have a firewall turned on on either the powerbook or the router? Also, is file sharing turned on in the system prefs > sharing?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

That suggests something is blocking the AFP protocol. Do you have a firewall turned on on either the powerbook or the router? Also, is file sharing turned on in the system prefs > sharing?

Firewall is turned on on the router. while turned off on the Macs.

File sharing is turned on on both of my Macs, and so the various iBooks are.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Firewall is turned on on the router. while turned off on the Macs.

File sharing is turned on on both of my Macs, and so the various iBooks are.

Did you forward the AFP ports 548 and 427? The quickest way to see if that's the problem before going into the details of forwarding ports would be to turn off the router firewall and try connecting.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Did a quick google search ("DS (SLP) couldn't register error") and it turned out that nobody had a solution ready although the problem seems to be quite wide-spread. Sorry, can't help you here.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Did you forward the AFP ports 548 and 427? The quickest way to see if that's the problem before going into the details of forwarding ports would be to turn off the router firewall and try connecting.

No. I've never thougt of that. And i have difficulties to imagine how this

is all connected to.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

Did a quick google search ("DS (SLP) couldn't register error") and it turned out that nobody had a solution ready although the problem seems to be quite wide-spread. Sorry, can't help you here.

Well.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

All right i see.

I guess i solved the problem on myself. Just in case you (and others)

are interested to hear the solution. Well, i just say one word: Citruswire.

In other words, conflicting firewall settings. So far.