Qestions on getting a MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, I am a current PC user that is getting sick and tired of using windows and was interested in picking up a Mac . I've been digging up information on macs recently and I am very curious on picking up a MacBook pro.

Questions on MacBook and Macbook pro-

1) Can the MacBook handle games like World of Warcraft on the best or close to best performance? Or should I just settle on a MacBook PRO.

2) With bootcamp installed with windows is the hard drive partion or does it share from the same hard drive?example) Can you have all your music in itunes on the Mac OS and still have the same music on Windows with out taking up more hard drive space.

3) Can you load up a backup copy of windows XP as long as I have the same serial number from my PC on bootcamp or do you have to buy windows XP to put it in the mac?

4) Any idea when the new OS Leopard is coming out? By the end of this year maybe?

5)If the Mac is virus free does that also go for the bootcamp of Windows or it just the OS on the Mac that makes it virus free?

Thank you for your time for answering my questions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    1) no! macbooks have integrated (slow) graphics.

2) if you format the win partition fat32 you can read/write to it from macos.. if you format it to ntfs you can only read from it. I don't think windows can read MacOS partitions.

3) backup copy? clarify.

4) Use wikipedia: "On the first day of the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2006 (August 7, 2006), Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced Apple's intention to release the operating system in the Northern Spring 2007.[1]"

5) just the OS - macOS is not entirely viral free and more viruses will certainly appear in the future.. you'll still need your head to avoid viruses.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kao664

3) Can you load up a backup copy of windows XP as long as I have the same serial number from my PC on bootcamp or do you have to buy windows XP to put it in the mac?

Unless your copy of windows is a volume license version, I don't think you can use the same Serial number.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlechu

Unless your copy of windows is a volume license version, I don't think you can use the same Serial number.

It also has to be a full SP2 version as well. Can't upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    For the partition, I made a ntfs one. I installed Macdrive6 and it works pretty well. It allow windows to read/write on the Mac partition.

I got my songs on the OSX side. On Xp, I only had to add them to iTunes library and it works great...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Thanks for your help guys, couple more question-

1) Is iWork better than Office and what can I use for powerpoints?

2)What free software comes with the macBook Pro?

3)Is the rumor still floating around of the new MacBook Pro?

CANT WAIT ANY MORE FOR MY NEW MAC! (TIRED OF MY SLOW AND FUSTRATING PC!)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    iwork lacks the functionality of things like excell and access, for just word processing, simple desktop publishing and 'powerpoints' it will do the job
  • Reply 6 of 7
    iwork lacks the functionality of things like excell and access, for just word processing, simple desktop publishing and 'powerpoints' it will do the job