24" iMac Mini Review #2

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just received my 24" iMac last week (stock 2.16 gHz, 250 gig drive, standard video card, upgraded 2 Gig RAM) and have now had a chance to play with it quite a bit the last few days. I'm upgrading from a relatively ancient PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) wtih 1.4 Mhz CPU upgrade and 1.25 Gigs RAM. Old machine has a 7200 rpm drive and has otherwise been a workhorse for me for the last 6 years. My only real reticence with the new Intel machines had been unknown performance with legacy software because at this point I really don't want to shell out thousands more all at once for "native" software. Well, after running all my legacy Abobe (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign ; all CS1 / several years old) and Microsoft Office and a host of other software (esp Filemaker that's my day-to-day lifeblood) I can say that I'm just really, really pleased with Rosetta and overall system performance. Absolutely no loss of performance over my old machine and definitely a performance boost on many things. The native software is, of course, super quick and over time every thing will get faster with new OS and eventual native software upgrades. So, so quiet and then there's the 24" screen which is flat out amazing. My other Apple Cinema 20" monitor is beautiful but the space on this one is just so much greater and I can tell already that my workflow will improve. I came very close a year or so ago to springing for a faster Powermac but I'm SO GLAD I waited for this machine. Kudos to Apple on a job well done!

Comments