Why Buy an Xserve?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What possible use would a regular consumer such as myself have with an Xserve? It looks nice and shiny!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    None.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I want one though - it looks really shiny - there must be some plausible use or excuse one can offer me...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Running a web page?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm buying one in 2007, when Mac OS X 10.5 Server comes out. I'll need it for my growing collection of sites, not that I'm making much money from them yet. I need the freedom to use a domain I own for whatever I want. I own a few. If I choose to use one of my unused domains for something, I wont have to pay to do it. I can just choose what I want to do, and go do it, without racking up yearly hosting bills.

Usually the minimum one would pay for a shared hosting account with little storage 1-2 Gig, is about €70-€80 per year. That would usually require upgrading of some sort. After you get a few different sites, things become awkward, costly and time consuming. If you own your own server, you're free to just ad and create sites on a whim, without the need for any of the other troubles.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Really, an Xserve would run graphics apps and everything just fine. But games would suck, since it has no GPU to speak of.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you want something shiny, get a nickel.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

If you want something shiny, get a nickel.

Aluminum foil is nice. It gives me hours of fun.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I'm buying one in 2007, when Mac OS X 10.5 Server comes out. I'll need it for my growing collection of sites, not that I'm making much money from them yet. I need the freedom to use a domain I own for whatever I want. I own a few. If I choose to use one of my unused domains for something, I wont have to pay to do it. I can just choose what I want to do, and go do it, without racking up yearly hosting bills.

Usually the minimum one would pay for a shared hosting account with little storage 1-2 Gig, is about €70-€80 per year. That would usually require upgrading of some sort. After you get a few different sites, things become awkward, costly and time consuming. If you own your own server, you're free to just ad and create sites on a whim, without the need for any of the other troubles.

Except for connecting it to the internet at a decent speed
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Except for connecting it to the internet at a decent speed

How so?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    You would need an internet with a good upload speed. The benefit of hosting it at a datacenter is the connection speed.

Check out serverlogistics.com or triple8.net for XServe hosting options.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

You would need an internet with a good upload speed. The benefit of hosting it at a datacenter is the connection speed.

Check out serverlogistics.com or triple8.net for XServe hosting options.

Nah, I find Let's Host the best value right now.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Nah, I find Let's Host the best value right now.

Unless I missed the dedicated section on that site, we aren't talking about shared servers.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

Unless I missed the dedicated section on that site, we aren't talking about shared servers.

Yes and no.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

How so?

If you are using a home broadband connection, you're going to be limited by that connection. If you are going to colocate it, then that's a different thing. If you are going to just use your home Internet connection then a Mac mini should be able to keep up with it just fine.