MacBook: mid-term review

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was a little bit sceptical about the MacBook when I first purchased it, because of my bad experiences with two MacBook Pros I had owned (and returned) previously. The MacBook looked like it was too good to be true – it was pretty much the same machine as the MacBook Pro – it featured the same Core Duo processor, the same memory and hard drive specifications. The new features like the MagSafe, iSight were all present and correct. All thats missing is the 15" screen (which isn't the end of the world for me), the crippled graphics card that isn't worth the hassle and the novelty backlit keyboard.

But would the MacBook suffer the same problems as the MacBook? Plus there were reports out there of the Black ones bubbling and the White ones turning yellow...

I'm pleased to report, that in the months that followed, the MacBook has blown me away. No whining & mooing noises, no overheating and it's performance has been way better than the MacBook Pro's. The MacBook is virtually silent, and although it gets warm, it's never alarmingly warm. Its a machine that I have come to depend upon, and if truth be known, probably started to take for granted.

Yes, my little white MacBook ties with my iMac for the title of 'my favourite Mac ever'. Thanks to an affordable 2GB RAM upgrade, the MacBook has taken everything I've thrown at it, including hooking it up to a 23" Cinema Display and running it as a desktop replacement. It's handled print jobs in Adobe CS2 admirably (unlike my Mac Pro).

On a usability front, it's screen size and resolution are spot. It's just the right size (and robust enough) to throw in to a 'man bag' and it's lightweight enough to carry around all day (unlike my 17" PowerBook). Battery life has been great. The keyboard is the best I have ever used by a long chalk.

Yes the MacBook is a fantastic little machine, and a worthy successor to the 12" PowerBook. It's a great example of a Mac, and great ambassador for the Mac platform. I still can't believe what you get for the money – Macs have never been such good value!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I completely agree. My MacBook is my first Mac ever, and I have had a wonderful experience with it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

I completely agree. My MacBook is my first Mac ever, and I have had a wonderful experience with it.

My MacBook reminds me of my G4 Cube . . . . dang I loved that Cube. I think I will take the Cube out and make it a headless server . . . . . hmmm.

- iGrant
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

ditto. my first Mac. great experiences so far. works perfectly w/ all the perifs i used to use w/ my Dell. couldnt ask for a better machine.