24" iMac: CTO opinions req.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When spec'ing a CTO 24" iMac, do you think that the following are worth the extra money?

2.16GHz > 2.33GHz processor upgrade

A lot of people are saying that it's not worth downgrading a Mac Pro from 2.66GHz to 2.0GHz because you loose so much processing power. Is it worth upgrading the processing speed in an iMac?

128MB 7300 GT > 256MB 7600 GT graphics card

The graphics card in the iMac is essentially a laptops graphics card (MXM). Is the 7600 upgrade worth going for, or is it an underclocked version (like Apple pulled with the MacBook Pro). I'll be using the machine to run CS2, and having owned a Mac Pro, I know that the 7300 GT isn't up to much. Is the 7600 GT in the iMac any faster than the 7300 GT in the Mac Pro?

250GB > 500GB hard disk drive

The upgrade price is virtually the same as going out and buying a 500GB mechanism - if I bought the iMac with a 250GB drive, and bought the 500GB drive myself, it would cost roughly the same as Apple's upgrade price but I would benefit from having a spare 250GB SATA drive (which is bound to come in handy at some point. Is it worth the hassle of taking a new iMac to bits, or should I just get Apple to stick the drive in there for me?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, guys...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

The graphics card in the iMac is essentially a laptops graphics card (MXM). Is the 7600 upgrade worth going for, or is it an underclocked version (like Apple pulled with the MacBook Pro). I'll be using the machine to run CS2, and having owned a Mac Pro, I know that the 7300 GT isn't up to much. Is the 7600 GT in the iMac any faster than the 7300 GT in the Mac Pro?

I do not believe that the graphics card in the iMac 24" is a mobile variant, as there are no Go 7600 GT cards. In any case, a 7600 GT should have less power draw than a X1600, and with the additional space in the 24" model, I'd say that it probably is clocked at close to standard speeds. It should significantly outperform a 7300GT any day of the week.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

A lot of people are saying that it's not worth downgrading a Mac Pro from 2.66GHz to 2.0GHz because you loose so much processing power. Is it worth upgrading the processing speed in an iMac?

2.00 --> 2.66 is a 33% improvement. This is really something. However, 2.16 --> 2.33 is a 8% improvement, even less in practice. Not worth the money for me.

Quote:

Here is a surprise for you.

Quote:

The upgrade price is virtually the same as going out and buying a 500GB mechanism - if I bought the iMac with a 250GB drive, and bought the 500GB drive myself, it would cost roughly the same as Apple's upgrade price but I would benefit from having a spare 250GB SATA drive (which is bound to come in handy at some point. Is it worth the hassle of taking a new iMac to bits, or should I just get Apple to stick the drive in there for me?

Disassembling an iMac looks intimidating to me. I would go the safe route.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Thanks for the advice guys - as usual, you guys know your stuff!

I can't believe the results for the 7600 GT, or rather, I can't believe how bad the 7300 GT is!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

I do not believe that the graphics card in the iMac 24" is a mobile variant, as there are no Go 7600 GT cards. In any case, a 7600 GT should have less power draw than a X1600, and with the additional space in the 24" model, I'd say that it probably is clocked at close to standard speeds. It should significantly outperform a 7300GT any day of the week.

The Nvidia chipsets are desktop despite using a MXM module. The X1600 is a Radeon Mobility. However, the speed boost suggests it might not be underclocked anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Heres the insides of the 24" iMac -

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28012
  • Reply 6 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

The Nvidia chipsets are desktop despite using a MXM module. The X1600 is a Radeon Mobility. However, the speed boost suggests it might not be underclocked anymore.

Nope, the X1600 is not a mobility.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Nope, the X1600 is not a mobility.

The part used in the iMac is the M56 iinstead of the desktop RV530. it's been confirmed.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I use a 20" iMac at my church office (and another PC) and just purchased a 24" iMac for my photography business. The unit I purchased (not from Apple) was configured with the 7300 GT, 128MB graphics card. Lots of rumors out ther (many of which I've explored, looking for more than speculation) about whether one can upgrade to the 7600 GT, 256MB card. Of course, you can configure a new purchase from Apple with this upgrade, but can it be done to existing 24" iMacs once they ship...or if you purchase one with the 7300 card refurbished, used, or new from another party.

The answer is "YES"...and not just someday...maybe. This comes first hand from Apple technical support department (which I spoke with today). Here is what they told me:

1. This upgrade can be done after purchase

2. It will not be performed by any Apple store (they just won't do it). As to why, your guess is probably accurate.

3. It can be performed by an authorized Apple reseller/service center. They can (whether they will may be another issue) order this part (the 7600 GT card) and install it for you. The Apple Technical Support representative assured me that there is a part number that is availalbe to them if they chose to order it and perform this upgrade.

4. What do you do if your local authorized Apple reseller/service center refuses? Apple Tech Support gave me this advice: keep inquiring with other Apple resellers until you find one that will let you give them your business. According to Apple, they are out there.

So, there you have a little "Apple Insider" news. Gentlemen, start your engines!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i got the 24 with 2.33 250 hd upgraded graphics and 2 gigs ram. so i thought that was best bang for the buck with ability to keep me happy for at least 2 years ( i hope). i don't think i could possibly want a bigger screen so i would make sure you get the fastest proc. and best graphics. i will get additional ram when it is affordable. anyway, my 24 rocks the way i have it. i ordered new airport extreme and am waiting for its release. with my set up rosetta is not a factor. my non native apps are super fast. hope that helps.:
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have a 24" iMac C2D max'd out. It is a screamer. Very helpful to you I am sure but the upgrade on the processor is worth it. Why? Because one day you will be like dang'it! I wish I would have got the 2.33 GHz dual core just to have that little bit more.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

When spec'ing a CTO 24" iMac, do you think that the following are worth the extra money?

Quote:

Like the poster above, yeah, what the hell, just go for it, you'll feel better a few years down the line. But if you are somewhat budget-conscious, the difference is really very very small.

Quote:

Yes in this case you SHOULD GO FOR THE 7600GT 256mb VRAM. It is a solid performer. anything less than an nVidia 7600 GT is not worth it - the 7300 or 7600GS is a very crippled 7-series card. The 7600GT retains a lot of the "oomph" of the good parts of nVidia 7-series.

Quote:

Do you need half a Terabyte? Otherwise go with the 250gb, and get a nice FW800 external 250(+)GB for external backups.

Quote:

Thanks in advance for your feedback, guys...

Hell, I'm just trying to get to 7,000 posts. Hope I helped along the way