Hash/ Verified, Resumable File Transfers Between Mac and PC on LAN?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi wondering if anyone knows of a Bittorrent-like style of transferring files between Mac and PC on a slow wireless LAN:

The transfer is setup alright but just usual SMB file transfers are ass because if it breaks halfway the file is not transferred and your list of files to transfer is gone, and the half-transferred file can't be renewed. My PC laptop drops out of the wireless LAN so that's a pain in the butt as well.

Is there some software that handles this sort of Mac-PC sync and resume download stuff over SMB?

Or maybe I set up my PC which is on all the time as a Bittorrent seed with all the files zipped up and then use the Mac as a Bittorrent client to download from the seed - that way I can ensure the data is hash-checked/ verified and then also downloads resume when Mac wakes from sleep (automatic or manual start of resume). Also in this case how do I set up a Bittorrent seed on the PC to seed JUST TO THE LOCAL NETWORK...? In this case it would be TCP/IP not SMB. I have Bittornado and Bitlord on the PC.

Thanks for your help oh wise AppleInsiders

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I'll research setting up Bittorrent seeding just on the local network secured with a password to the tracker or something but if someone can guide me on this that would be great. Again, just to verify, not talking about pirating stuff but transferring files between Mac and PC.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Wow thanks for the tons of responses . Anyway, when you take a break from downloading pr9n, this is what I did: used this freeware FTP server on my WinXP2 machine, http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.co...tp_server.html , then I'm just using Cyberduck on the Mac to download stuff off my PC laptop. The resumeable downloads seems to work. Better than SMB non-resumable transfers and no decent queue management. The Cyberduck sync service should be cool too if I try it later. Technically I should use .zips so I can CRC check it but whatevs. Anyway, that's what I did. 8)