Mini Wii

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Wii game console will debut in November. The tech specs are:

IBM's "Broadway" CPU clocked at 729MHz. (The Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz). Wii's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. The 'Hollywood' is a large-scale integrated chip that includes the GPU, DSP, I/O bridge and 3MBs of texture memory."

The Wii will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, the original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is clear that the Wii system simply doesnt have the firepower of the Xbox 360 or PS3, but that is not to say the Wii is doomed. The Wii will launch with 25 games, including a new Zelda, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty 3, and Far cry. And the Wii has a web browser, a channel function, as well as Wi-Fi.

Since the Wii only has 88 megs of Ram, a 729 Mhz CPU, and a 243 Mhz GPU, why cant a Mac Mini do what the Wii can do?

I have posted on this forum before that the Mini should at least have had a game controller. And with wheeler-dealer Steve Jobs at the helm Apple could have cut deals with third party game makers and made the Mini a contender as a game console. It's not too late, but for this to happen Mac enthusiasts have to start clamouring for a Mini Wii.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

Since the Wii only has 88 megs of Ram, a 729 Mhz CPU, and a 243 Mhz GPU, why cant a Mac Mini do what the Wii can do?

It's about optimization. I've always wondered that because home computer spec always seems to exceed console spec, sometimes by a long way. The Mac Pro exceeds the Xbox360 but it I bet it still won't play games better.

The advantage games have is that they don't have to be compatible with 3rd party software. The games are compatible with the hardware so they can go nuts with optimization.

I still think that computer systems could be faster because when you look at older machines, they were capable of doing things quickly because programmers took more care when pushing the hardware to its limits. It's just far easier to do it for consoles.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Yah...but Apple has as much control over the mini and its specs as any console maker. Its sole source for OSX capable machines.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I've been thinking about this whole console versus computer thing. First off, kicking back on the couch with a big screen and a controller is simply superior to the keyboard, mouse, and a computer monitor. But the real issue is not pc versus console, the issue is an open system versus a proprietary system.

The Xbox 360 is a computer, but a very proprietary and specialized computer. Of course you can only run one kind of software on an Xbox, games. And Microsoft decides what games you have access to, because all titles must pay licencing fees to Micro$oft. You can access the internet on Xbox 360, but the only place you can go is Xbox Live.

You dont own your game console any more than you own your cable box. You have no control over the Operating System, internet access, or software (games). And you pay Microsoft for every game you purchase, and for access to Xbox Live.

As I type this post, I am at my computer on my desk. My computer is five years old, and no way could it run HL2 or the latest computer games. Next to my clunky old computer is my TV with DVD player...and my Xbox.

In short I have two computers, (PC and Xbox), two displays, (my monitor and my TV), and three disc players, (PC, Xbox, and DVD player).

In addition I have a cable set top box, and a cable router. I pay a disgusting amount for all this redundant equipment, and I pay for cable, (the greatest scam since the Federal Reserve).

If I buy Xbox 360 just for the latest generation of games, I need a $500 console, AND at least another $500 for a HDTV. If I spend that money on a new PC, I'm back to the ball and chain, (keyboard and mouse). Either way, that's a thousand bucks to play the next generation of games.

This has got to stop. There is all this talk about the "convergence" of the TV, game console, and computer. But it wont happen with these proprietary systems.

• Reply 4 of 15
    I had posted the previus entry on another thread, but I have added it here because the idea of "covergence" with the Mac Mini is no good without games. I want one machine to play music, dvds, and games, surf the internet and work as a computer, God Dammit! This is doable, and Apple Computer could do it.

• Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

If I buy Xbox 360 just for the latest generation of games, I need a $500 console, AND at least another $500 for a HDTV. If I spend that money on a new PC, I'm back to the ball and chain, (keyboard and mouse). Either way, that's a thousand bucks to play the next generation of games.

This has got to stop. There is all this talk about the "convergence" of the TV, game console, and computer. But it wont happen with these proprietary systems.

consoles are closed, proprietary systems, but if they were open systems where you can install the operating system of your choice, then you're back in PCland. it's not a game console anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    That and not all games are better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. Its not like you can't buy a controller for your PC or use a good HDTV as a monitor (or a good monitor as a TV).

If you spend $500 every 5 years to play the latest games that's $100/year on hardware costs where new titles are $50-60. Used titles are cheaper but if you have any sort of game collection the software costs exceed the hardware costs...which is how the business model works anyway.

Convergence on the Mini is just fine for non-gamers. Which there are plenty. Personally I have a couple consoles I never play...all my gaming is on the laptop.

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Just because you have choice doesnt make the machine any worse at playing games. And what is a "console" anyway? The new generation is quickly becoming a computer. The Wii will allow users to surf the internet using a remote.

I want to have ONE HDTV/monitor and ONE computer hooked up to it.

• Reply 8 of 15
    The mini needs a better vid card before it needs a controller. That has all sorts of other implications...

Vinea
  • Reply 9 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It's about optimization. I've always wondered that because home computer spec always seems to exceed console spec, sometimes by a long way. The Mac Pro exceeds the Xbox360 but it I bet it still won't play games better.

Macs and PCs also run tons of bloat (not usfull for gaming) like GUIs and whatnot...

\\also, the Wii is non-HD, that means it only outputs ~720*480 which isnt that hard to see with those specs...and as for RAM, unlike the others, I beleive the Wii is cardtrage based meaning that less will ned to be in RAM because it can be pulled from the nvram/flash in the card.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

I spend that money on a new PC, I'm back to the ball and chain, (keyboard and mouse).

IMHO keyboard + mouse >> controller, with the exception of 'twitch' games (racing, Tony Hawk, platformers), though you can get USB controllers for those types on a computer. I'd love to see somebody play WoW with a controller, for example...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Macs and PCs also run tons of bloat (not usfull for gaming) like GUIs and whatnot...

\\also, the Wii is non-HD, that means it only outputs ~720*480 which isnt that hard to see with those specs...and as for RAM, unlike the others, I beleive the Wii is cardtrage based meaning that less will ned to be in RAM because it can be pulled from the nvram/flash in the card.

the wii is disc based.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The Wii uses dual layer DVDs for it's game disks.

As far as the mini not being able to do what the Wii does- it's a matter of specialized software and hardware.

Yes- the mini has a faster processor than the Wii, but the Wii's processor and "video card" are made specifically for gaming. Also, while playing games, the Wii runs a very low profile OS (compared to OS X). Also, the dev tools for Wii are a lot more specific for gaming than what Apple offers for OS X.

So basically, the Wii offers gaming specific hardware and software that make games run smoother.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster

IMHO keyboard + mouse >> controller, with the exception of 'twitch' games (racing, Tony Hawk, platformers), though you can get USB controllers for those types on a computer. I'd love to see somebody play WoW with a controller, for example...

I could easily see this happening with the Wii remote....

Just point, hold trigger button, and drag a square over a group of characters you want to command (just like with a mouse).
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Yes, the Wii remote has many applications beyond games. You will be able to surf the net from your couch, using the Wii remote like a mouse. If a Wii could attach a keyboard, and run a suite of basic software, the Wii would be a computer.

• Reply 15 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Just because you have choice doesnt make the machine any worse at playing games. And what is a "console" anyway? The new generation is quickly becoming a computer.

All the gaming consoles were computers. It's not a new trend. The difference now is that many of them are gaining functionality to make them more like general purpose personal computers than the dedicated limited-purpose computers they were in the past.