15 hour battery life

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading up on some of the Japanese technology that never makes it to the states from websites like myicube.com and dynamism.com and some of the Panasonic notebooks have battery life up to a staggering 15 hours! I understand these manufactuer estimates are always optimistic but the actual life must be incredible as well. Strangely though, most of the specs on them are similar, if not the same, as Apple's notebooks. Some even have 15" monitors. What's the deal with this? Are they using some sweet new battery that doesn't meet U.S. regulations? They're even thinner and lighter as well! Why are we not seeing this type of innovation in Apple's notebooks? If I was interested in Windows XP still I would buy one of these Panasonics up right now, but I've been bitten by the switchers bug and now want nothing but a decent Macbook or Macbook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    can you give us a few links to the actuall articals please. cheers
  • Reply 2 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You're probably combining ULV (ultra-low voltage) CPUs and other such technology. Sure, it can be done, but it's also prohibitively expensive. It'd be a lot cheaper to just buy another two batteries, giving you three times the total battery life, i.e. also close to 15 hours (on a MacBook).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apple should go back to the days when we could swap out the optical drive for a second battery. Or something else. I mean...why not. Especially on the MacBook PRO. That's something that would be a REAL improvement.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Maybe the batteries burst into flames, powering some sort of steam reactor getting an additional 12 hours.