Linksys WRT54GS timeout - solution?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Haven't gotten to try this solution yet but I think the problem with Linksys dropping connections is I need a static MAC address. In looking at Linksys site then talking to my company's tech support I came across a discrepancy. I just sent this email to Linksys tech support:

The answer you have under this "common question" is wrong for OSX: I need to clone my MAC address, however I have a Macintosh, where do I find the MAC Address?

You say to look in system preferences/network/built-in ethernet/ethernet address

Actually it's under (blue) apple menu/About this Mac/more info/Network(click on the name "network")/MAC address

The two numbers are different. Hope this helps some of you other customers.

Chrs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onit

Haven't gotten to try this solution yet but I think the problem with Linksys dropping connections is I need a static MAC address. In looking at Linksys site then talking to my company's tech support I came across a discrepancy. I just sent this email to Linksys tech support:

The answer you have under this "common question" is wrong for OSX: I need to clone my MAC address, however I have a Macintosh, where do I find the MAC Address?

You say to look in system preferences/network/built-in ethernet/ethernet address

Actually it's under (blue) apple menu/About this Mac/more info/Network(click on the name "network")/MAC address

The two numbers are different. Hope this helps some of you other customers.

Chrs

Chris are you referring to static-IP addresses or a MAC address.

1. The Media Access Control address is built-in to the Airport/Ethernet hardware. (Although OS X can spoof a MAC address.) A MAC address is in the format: 00:00:00:00:00:00 (where 0 is a number in Base-16). Only if you enable MAC blocking on your router will you need to enter the MAC addresses. This adds a very basic level of security; as mentioned it's easy to spoof a MAC address though.

2. Some Internet Service Providers give you a new IP address each time you connect to them. If you need one you can request a static IP and the ISP they allocate an IP address to you. Most home users just use a dynamic IP address from their ISP. An IP (v4) address is in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx is an integer between 0 and 255).

3. Both of these numbers can be found in both Apple System Profiler and System Preferences.

4. You Mac may have several MAC addresses in use at any one time for Ethernet, Airport etc. You can also have several IP addresses in use if you're networking over several physical mediums.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Chris are you referring to static-IP addresses or a MAC address.

1. The Media Access Control address is built-in to the Airport/Ethernet hardware. (Although OS X can spoof a MAC address.) A MAC address is in the format: 00:00:00:00:00:00 (where 0 is a number in Base-16). Only if you enable MAC blocking on your router will you need to enter the MAC addresses. This adds a very basic level of security; as mentioned it's easy to spoof a MAC address though.

2. Some Internet Service Providers give you a new IP address each time you connect to them. If you need one you can request a static IP and the ISP they allocate an IP address to you. Most home users just use a dynamic IP address from their ISP. An IP (v4) address is in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx is an integer between 0 and 255).

3. Both of these numbers can be found in both Apple System Profiler and System Preferences.

4. You Mac may have several MAC addresses in use at any one time for Ethernet, Airport etc. You can also have several IP addresses in use if you're networking over several physical mediums.

Hey,

I was referring to the unchanging MAC address each computer has. The linksys router my friend has kept dropping connections. I should have clarified that I used the computer's MAC address in the router's browser setup under "Clone MAC address" to try and solve the time outs. I think the problem was happening when the computer woke from sleep and the router then couldn't find it or vice versa. I'll know tonight whether cloning the MAC address worked when my friend gets home.

Chrs (short for Cheers - not Chris)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Have you tried the DD-WRT firmware?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php