Can't print through PC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Our Mac Mini can see the Samsung ML-1710 attached to a PC on our home network.



If I try to print something, the dialog box shows the Samsung printer, and if I click on Preview it correctly previews what I want to print.



But when I click the PRINT button, the Samsung printer starts it warm-up procedure (whirring sound) but then nothing is printed.



Have tried several applications, including printing from Firefox browswer, and the same thing happens.



What is wrong? TIA

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    Add'l info from System Profiler:



    Samsung:



    StatustIdle

    Print ServertLocal

    Driver Versiont10.4

    DefaulttYes

    URItsmb://Mshome/Roberto/Samsung

    PPDtGeneric PostScript Printer

    PPD File Versiont1.0

    PostScript Versiont(2000.0) 1



    Also nothing shows in print queue
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Do you get a message in your console (/Applications/console) or in the Mac Mini print manager (/Applications/Utilities/Print Center). I presume that something must be being sent if the printer is responding.



    The way I prefer to setup printers is to connect the printer to the Mac, turn on file sharing. Then install Bonjour on the Windows machine. Takes 5 minutes and it works every time. Another reason I prefer this is because the Windows print queue can be a real pain sometimes.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Thanks for the input.



    No messages of any kind, unfortunately.



    I have looked on the Samsung Website and it does not show a driver for Apple.



    The printer functions perfectly in Windows so no driver is needed there. However, I am unsure whether there needs to be a separate driver installed on the apple in order for it to print.



    Looking at the printer properties, it shows the Samsung, but describes it as a standard postscript printer. Could this indicate the source of the problem.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Tangent: How do you get Bonjour for Windows?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakingsfn


    Tangent: How do you get Bonjour for Windows?



    1) Google "Bonjour for Windows".

    2) Click the first result.

    3) There is no step three.



    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...indows103.html
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odyssey


    Thanks for the input.



    No messages of any kind, unfortunately.



    I have looked on the Samsung Website and it does not show a driver for Apple.



    Here's one:



    http://printers.free-driver-download...OS-X-10.3.html



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odyssey


    The printer functions perfectly in Windows so no driver is needed there. However, I am unsure whether there needs to be a separate driver installed on the apple in order for it to print.



    No, with shared printers, the machine connecting to it outputs some format - usually generic postscript - and this goes off to the host machine to be handled by the driver there.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My Mini is running 10.4 and there does not appear to be a version for 10.4 . Does this matter? If not, I will install the 10.3 driver and see if it makes any difference.



    Since generic postscript printer is the existing description in the printer profile and since pressing print starts the printer into warm-up (showing that the computer is finding the printer), this does not appear to be a driver issue. What do you think?



    Any other ideas welcome.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odyssey


    My Mini is running 10.4 and there does not appear to be a version for 10.4 . Does this matter? If not, I will install the 10.3 driver and see if it makes any difference.



    10.3 drivers should work with 10.4. It's not always the case but usually it's ok.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odyssey


    Since generic postscript printer is the existing description in the printer profile and since pressing print starts the printer into warm-up (showing that the computer is finding the printer), this does not appear to be a driver issue. What do you think?



    The driver was only if you decided to attach the printer to the mac and share it from there. I'm not sure what could be going on but I've had this happen with Mac shared printers too. It's one that prints onto CDs. When the person sent data to the shared printer using the print CD software, it did what you said and made the printer warm up but it didn't print anything. So I just sent the file to the machine hooked up to the printer and printed from it.



    If you install the driver, it should install a PPD file and you can try using that as the printer description instead of generic postscript.
Sign In or Register to comment.