Cell Phone Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK. My wife and I have ditched our Sprint plans in favor of a T-Mobile PayGo plan. We have modest needs out of a cell phone (I used 6 minutes last month).

However...we want to grab a couple of unlocked quad-band phones to use the next time we're in London (we'll buy a PayGO SIM card there and just trade them out). I'm interested in recommendations for quad-band phones. Right now, we're looking at the SLVR and the RAZR, which seem to be going for between $100 and $160.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you have a choice between a SLVR and a RAZR, I wouldn't choose the SLVR. Although the RAZR's not much better, I've had 2 buddies who got the SLVR when it first came out and have broken their phone multiple times with daily use. Their biggest problem has been the battery, as its charge was not consistent. This also supposedly happens to the RAZR, but I've had my RAZR for over a year and haven't had any problems at all. The biggest thing you get with the RAZR is obviously just the flip part of the phone, which protects the screen and its buttons. That in itself is probably worth getting it over a SLVR. In my experience selling phones, flips last longer than single pieces...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    At 6 minutes a month I think the SLVR should be fine. You and I are in the same low-usage bracket, and I have never paid heed to warnings about phone reliability. At the moment I'm using an el cheapo slider phone which, according to mass hysteria, should have died on me 18 months ago. It's still doing fine.

The SLVR is thin and relatively small. Utah gets cold so I imagine you wear a jacket a lot of the time, and the SLVR's best attribute is that it fits into a jacket pocket without making any sort of bulge.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

At 6 minutes a month I think the SLVR should be fine. You and I are in the same low-usage bracket, and I have never paid heed to warnings about phone reliability. At the moment I'm using an el cheapo slider phone which, according to mass hysteria, should have died on me 18 months ago. It's still doing fine.

The SLVR is thin and relatively small. Utah gets cold so I imagine you wear a jacket a lot of the time, and the SLVR's best attribute is that it fits into a jacket pocket without making any sort of bulge.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm not really worried about breaking a phone in "normal use" because lots of the time I forget to take it with me and it sits on my kitchen counter.

I'm really just looking for small and cheap, and the SLVR seems to be both. My wife has a RAZR jones, though.