MacBook Pro - Expectations and Wishes

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well the title pretty much sums it up, but post what new features you think it will have, and what new features you hope it will have.



Expect:

1. 802.11n built-in wireless

2. Merom...of course

3. MacBook keyboard

4. Bigger HDD



Hope:

1. NAND built in for booting (forgotten what it is called)

2. 19 inch optional screen

3. Standard 1 gig RAM

4. Two button "mouse" (what is that called?)

5. Scroll functionality somehow incorperated into the mousepad.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Well, you will be pleasantly surprised then to know that all but the base MacBook Pro already comes with 1GB ram standard and that scrolling track pad and two finger "right click" functionality have been available since OSX 10.4.7
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox


    Well, you will be pleasantly surprised then to know that all but the base MacBook Pro already comes with 1GB ram standard and that scrolling track pad and two finger "right click" functionality have been available since OSX 10.4.7



    Yah I just saw that about the scrolling track pad, but the "right click" is there too? Maybe im thinking the MacBook that doesn't have the Right click?



    And the base matters to me. If im gonna get a MacBook Pro, it will be the base. I don't want to pay an extra 200 for 512 mg of ram
  • Reply 3 of 17
    No MacBook keyboard please



    just the macbook magnetic lid
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Looking for higher resolution screen. This will work well with Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26


    Yah I just saw that about the scrolling track pad, but the "right click" is there too? Maybe im thinking the MacBook that doesn't have the Right click?



    And the base matters to me. If im gonna get a MacBook Pro, it will be the base. I don't want to pay an extra 200 for 512 mg of ram



    Right click came first with MacBook and was added as software update to the Pro.



    I completely agree that the base model of Apple's "professional" laptops should have a gig of ram stock, I'm almost certain that Apple will do this.



    Still, no need to pay Apples inflated prices to upgrade, get your ram from Crucial or MacSales.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox


    Still, no need to pay Apples inflated prices to upgrade, get your ram from Crucial or MacSales.



    BLASPHEMY!!!! I was thinking about that but would rather buy from Apple...and since all I need is one gig, on a one gig stick, I hope that they will make 1 gig standard on all models.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    here's what else I would add to the MBP wish list...



    * firewire 800 (15" model)

    * 3 USB 2.0 ports (15" model)

    * longer battery life



    and I'm praying that this is the most significant and maybe only update until next summer.



    Being greedy of course, this way I won't kick myself for buying the one that comes out before the holidays instead of waiting....



    Part of me thinks that Apple may upgrade with half of our wish list now and then the other half in the spring along with the Leopard release. What do you all think???
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo


    here's what else I would add to the MBP wish list...



    * firewire 800 (15" model)

    * 3 USB 2.0 ports (15" model)

    * longer battery life



    and I'm praying that this is the most significant and maybe only update until next summer.



    Being greedy of course, this way I won't kick myself for buying the one that comes out before the holidays instead of waiting....



    Part of me thinks that Apple may upgrade with half of our wish list now and then the other half in the spring along with the Leopard release. What do you all think???





    * and external eSATA connector (17"model)
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I expect not to spend my equipment reserve funds before the damn thing comes out.



    Just give me a fast proc. (and no, my 1.67GHz G4 does not count) and a DL drive in the 15", and I'm done.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    and one more...



    * 8X dual-layer Superdrive
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo


    and one more...



    * 8X dual-layer Superdrive



    A duel-layer would be great, but also I would want a RW-drive so I can add things to my CDs that I make, since I don't have an ipod yet *GASP!*
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox


    Right click came first with MacBook and was added as software update to the Pro.



    The right click came first with the 17-inch MacBook Pro, then the MacBooks, and only to the 15-inch after a software update.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    1. NAND flash memory for "ReadyBoost"-type function

    2. No MacBook keyboard (leave it like it is)

    3. 1Gb RAM for Base model standard

    4. High-Definition glossy screen

    5. 120Gb Perpendicular HHD (not HDD)

    6. 3 USB ports (I don't care about FW800)

    7. OSX 10.5 preview edition?



    That's about it...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm


    5. 120Gb Perpendicular HHD (not HDD)

    7. OSX 10.5 preview edition?



    HHD? Never heard of it.



    Haha leopard preview edition would be sweet. Who cares if your computer crashes a whole 1/2 the amount of times Windows crashes, if you have leopard!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26


    HHD? Never heard of it.



    He presumably means a hybrid hard drive.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This far more wish than expectation.



    Quote:

    1. 802.11n built-in wireless



    This isn't being certified until March '07.



    It's likely Apple will offer new AirPort cards.

    So that any Mac that uses AirPort Extreme will be able

    to upgrade to n.



    Quote:

    3. MacBook keyboard



    This is a wish that likely won't happen.



    Quote:

    4. Bigger HDD



    120GB is currently the largest



    Quote:

    NAND built in for booting (forgotten what it is called)



    Robson is an Intel technology that won't be available until first quarter '07.



    Quote:

    OSX 10.5 preview edition?



    Apple doesn't do preview editions.



    Quote:

    He presumably means a hybrid hard drive.



    From what I understand Robson and hybrid hard drives do basically the exact same thing.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    19 inch optional screen



    This would be the best option for a 1920x1200 notebook screen.



    We are probably more likely to see this size with 10.5 resolution independence.
Sign In or Register to comment.