Warcraft III on new iMac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone played Warcraft III on a 17in iMac? I have been playing on my iBook SE 466 with a 8meg rage mobility card and it is painful. I can just barly play on the lowest settings. I want to start playing against my pc friends who play the game but I don't want them to see the crappy game performance and thing it is because it is a mac and not because the computer is like almost 2 years old (and it wasn't even the deal to begin with) So if anyone has played it on a new iMac, I as because I am getting one in two weeks, let me know what you think of the performance. BTW I am going to have a gig of ram in it if that makes any difference in the performace.

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    The game runs much better in OS 9 than OS X.

How much RAM do you have?

I heard it's not too good on the iMacs if you're in OS X. Maybe it is better in Jaguar. Some say it is, some say it isn't.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dunno, but i've played on my TiBook and it works fine, with normal settings. (i might have even jacked them up all the way, don't rememver)

the only problem i have is that the machine gets a bit toasty then.....
  • Reply 3 of 15
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Performance on the 800 MHz iMac is accaptable to me. It's not blazing fast, and during in-game cut scenes it gets pretty choppy... but then I have most of my settings turned up pretty high. Setting most of them to medium would probably make it run faster. It's not the best for running WC3 but it's not all that bad either. Most of the time the speed is acceptable.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    man, my friend has a p4 1.2 with 384megs of ram and a 64 meg gforce4 mx and it runs perfectly What is the problem with the imac running it? Is it the coding by blizzard or osx? I am gonna have a gig of ram so maybe that will help I hope... Anyways as always, I appriciate the input.

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 15
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    the problem is that imacs are slow
  • Reply 6 of 15
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    No, it's not that iMacs are slow. They aren't. iMacs use GeForce 2 MX cards, which is part of the problem. I'm sure some better coding would help Warcraft too.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The 17inch imac has a gforce 4mx in it but it is only 32megs. How much better is the gforce 4 as compaired to the gforce 2?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    xiaxinxiaxin Posts: 44member
    I played WarCraftIII on my Cube, Ati rage pro 128, 448 MB ram, I turned off almost all the sound effects and the res. is 1024x768, 16-bit, all the lightning effects are either set to low or off. I found the performance is acceptable, I think that the gaming experience with the 17"-iMac should be very very well since the GeForce4 MX graphic card is lightning faster than ATi rage pro 128. I strongly suggest that the more ram imac has the better the performance it is. IMO, 512 MB is adequate.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I believe your new imac will play the game very fine, the GF4MX is MUCH better than the 2MX, and I expect Jaguar to push the performance alot further.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Warcraft III is fast in OS9, pretty OK in OSX (10.1.5) and slow in Jaguar.

This is on a G4 450 with the original ATI Rage 128 Pro.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I think I changed my mind out getting an imac. I found this cool compaq at the store so... No I think I am going with a dual 867 instead of the imac. The imac has more cool points and is a little cheaper but I think the tower will last me longer and I don't mind spending the extra bucks.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Sounds good... it'd probably be a good idea to upgrade the video to the Radeon 9000, it's not too expensive of an upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    resres Posts: 711member
    It plays great under osX on my 800MHz Ti Power book, and it should do even better on your tower.

I would go with the radeon 9000 instead of the GF card. I've never liked the GF cards.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    i have a 667 dvi tibook with 512 ram, and i play wc3 on high on all settings (as wells as the second highest resolution possible, the one that makes the game go full screen on my tibook)) and it runs like a charm. loads quick, and no slowdown. the game also runs pretty good on 800x600 (and the resolution above) on my pc, which is a sony vaio (the newest one from december 2000), which has p3 550 mhz and 128 ram. i play online and usually have no problems with slowdown. i keep the settings medium to low.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I have just played WC3 on my stock Dual 867 with (gf4) and 256 MB RAM...

Everything runs fine in jaguar, it's not choppy at all, even with the settings ramped way up....

Peace,

Marc