DVD Player is HD - ready?

almalm
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just noticed it:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Interesting. It would require a HD-DVD drive though no?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/DVD..._4.1_lbn_z.pdf

Quote:

HD DVD Playback on Apple DVD Player

You must update to Apple DVD Player version 4.6.5 or later, included with Mac OS X

v10.4.4, to play HD DVD discs created with DVD Studio Pro 4.0.3 or later. DVD Player 4.6.5

also plays HD DVD discs created with DVD Studio Pro versions 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2, which

conform to the 0.9 version of the HD DVD-Video specification.

Seems the feature was added rather quietly in 10.4.4.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Interesting, who said Apple going with Blue-Ray?

Quote:

New video encoding technology enables high-definition digital video to be burned on high-density DVD discs (called "HD DVDs") for better picture and sound quality.

DVD Player will play HD DVDs created in DVD Studio Pro. Your computer must support the HD format and your monitor must support Quartz Extreme.

To be sure your computer and monitor are appropriate for playing HD DVDs, choose Help > Show Supported Features.

• Reply 4 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM

Interesting, who said Apple going with Blue-Ray?

Doesn't HD DVD refer to both? Blu-ray is "high definition" and a "digital versatile disc". I imagine it's the video format the player supports too. The drives will be handled by the drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Doesn't HD DVD refer to both? Blu-ray is "high definition" and a "digital versatile disc". I imagine it's the video format the player supports too. The drives will be handled by the drivers.

Nope. The term "HD DVD" refers to the HD format promulgated by Toshiba and others. The competing format, Blu-Ray, is promoted by Sony and others.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Keep in mind Apple's strong ties to Hollywood ultimately mean they have to support both formats. They still may only select one option for hardware though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Funny, I don't see 'HD-DVD', 'HD DVD' or 'Blu-Ray' anywhere on that screenshot, just the generic term 'High Definition' and a selection of resolutions, which would apply to both.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    almalm Posts: 111member
    My PowerBook G4 is not HD-ready and Mac Mini (G4) too, that's why I missed this option. Wonder if any PPC Mac is compatible with this. And Mac Pro is already compatible. It's interesting what makes it HD-ready?

I think they used "HD" as common term, not referring to any particular format.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That feature has been in there for ages. If I recall, it is not your HD-DVD or Blueray formats but some sort of funky MPEG4 format apple tried to push to get ahead of the market when they released HD versions of iMovie. I don't know too much about this, but it is not what you are hoping.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Notice the phrasing. "DVD Player will play HD DVDs created in DVD Studio Pro." DVD Player will not play HD DVDs that you buy at a store (because of blue lasers, DRM, and VC-1), which makes it a lot less useful.