Can I disable one core to save battery life?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, I have a MBP and was wondering if its possible to disable one core, or somewhere I can do this to save batter life? Maybe theres a program or something. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:

Hey, I have a MBP and was wondering if its possible to disable one core, or somewhere I can do this to save batter life? Maybe theres a program or something. Thanks

You can disable one core with a program called Chud tools. but it doesn't increase battery life it makes it shorter! Apparently there are reasons for this.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I believe it's because both cores remain powered while disabled in software, and thus the processor has to remain on full power (instead of stepped down) because the one core has to lift more weight instead of processing being distributed between the two.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    oh...well that sucks
  • Reply 4 of 20
    i thought Intel's story for going to duo cores is cus its more efficient ...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Yes, it's much more power efficient having two cores since they can each be clocked down and still equal the power of a single conventional single-core proc.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I don't buy that. If I'm doing very light stuff, like say, text editing/reading, how are two cores going to consume less energy than one? Because with an almost non-existant processor load, even the one core can be clocked down. It would be nice to be able to turn the second one off and/or have it do that automatically.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    I heard that EIST does not work when disabling one core. Any truth in that?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    This is a ridiculous post. Buy another computer if you don't need the power, baby!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

This is a ridiculous post. Buy another computer if you don't need the power, baby!

Yes, wasting performance sure justifies sucking your battery dry in four hours?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

So, you'd rather have Intel get rid of SpeedStep, too?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I think he's just one of many users that are looking for Apple to release a product that fits their needs:

• Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I think he's just one of many users that are looking for Apple to release a product that fits their needs:

that's great it just fits for that Brian (?) guy who want 1TB+ storage in his MacBook - but is willing to hire a private trainer (at any price) to enable portability..

"Are you listening SJ - this is the product we want" - Apple Weight lifters Soc.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I don' like the blue and red knobs on the battery. It doesn't match the color scheme with the icons on my dock.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Hard drive airport and display use most of the power on a laptop. Turn down your brightness and turn off airport if you want longer battery life.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority

Hard drive airport and display use most of the power on a laptop. Turn down your brightness and turn off airport if you want longer battery life.

Hard drive is not much. Airport is not much of a power consumer, relative to the CPU and screen. Dropping the brightness probably helps though.

I wish there was a way to force the processor down to 1GHz and leave it there. My CPU never drops below 1.5GHz even when CPU load is basically nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority

Hard drive is nothing, the 60Wh battery can keep the 2W hard drive going full blast for thirty hours, and it doesn't work that hard. Airport is probably nothing too, relative to the CPU and screen. Dropping the brightness probably helps though.

I wish there was a way to force the processor down to 1GHz and leave it there, I don't need the CPU power, and the CPU is where most of the heat is generated. My CPU never drops below 1.5GHz even when CPU load is nothing. I need something more significant to drop the temperature, to me, my MBP is basically a portable desktop. For my casual surfing, I am using an old Compaq because it doesn't run nearly as hot.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    The CPU does drop to 1 GHz, but you can't see it as the process of reading the frequency kicks it back to 1.5 or more.

Intel's new chips allow for very low latency frequency changes (think microseconds). MBP uses a very aggressive on-demand frequency governor, basically any system load will kick the processor up and then down again when there's no load (which is 99.9% of the time for an idle system).

Now if you compare the power consumption figures from the CPU specsheet you'll realize that it's actually a good thing if you have a discrete task to do — your battery will last longer. Since you mentioned it, this also will heat the machine up faster than if the CPU stayed at 1 GHz all the time. For most people though, the trade-off is IMHO acceptable.

I have a more detailed write-up of this topic queued up, but I've been procrastinating...
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziwan

The CPU does drop to 1 GHz, but you can't see it as the process of reading the frequency kicks it back to 1.5 or more.

So the notebook has gone Heisenberg on me?

Quote:

Now if you compare the power consumption figures from the CPU specsheet you'll realize that it's actually a good thing if you have a discrete task to do ? your battery will last longer. Since you mentioned it, this also will heat the machine up faster than if the CPU stayed at 1 GHz all the time. For most people though, the trade-off is IMHO acceptable.

I wish they didn't try to take away that choice. With SpeedSwitchXP, I can force it down on my PIIIm system so the notebook is tolerable to use as a laptop. In contrast, my MBP is basically just a sleek desktop replacement.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

So the notebook has gone Heisenberg on me?

Yeah, this puzzled me too initially.

Quote:

I wish they didn't try to take away that choice. With SpeedSwitchXP, I can force it down on my PIIIm system so the notebook is tolerable to use as a laptop. In contrast, my MBP is basically just a sleek desktop replacement.

This should help you:

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

Basically, this allows you to control the fans of your laptop. It's amazing how much headroom there is for much cooler but still silent operation.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziwan

Yeah, this puzzled me too initially.

This should help you:

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

Basically, this allows you to control the fans of your laptop. It's amazing how much headroom there is for much cooler but still silent operation.

OK, thanks, I finally managed to install it. My notebook runs about 20 degrees C cooler now by kicking the minimum from 1000 to 3000 RPM so it's actually useful now. It's only a tiny bit louder. The MBP is not silent, but for me, still very quiet and definitely not the annoying whine I've had with older Macs.