iMovie Video Compression

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm making my first DVD here and was wondering what the best way to compress a video for iDVD would be. If I were to use the "For iDVD" option, my video would be around 11GB. What's the best (and shortest) way to get this thing around 4.7GB? Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I'd try it as is, if I were you: don't forget that iDVD will have to re-encode the movie in MPEG-2 format, but it needs a clean DV-encoded movie to start with.

DV is huge, simple as that, but the quality is superb purely because it's uncompressed.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>I'd try it as is, if I were you: don't forget that iDVD will have to re-encode the movie in MPEG-2 format, but it needs a clean DV-encoded movie to start with.

DV is huge, simple as that, but the quality is superb purely because it's uncompressed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

DV is compressed.

How else do you think they get it down to 3.3MB/sec
  • Reply 3 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Sorry, I should have said, not as compressed as MPEG-2.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    How long is your movie? I'm fairly sure that iDVD 2 can't burn movies longer than 90 minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    My movie is about 53 minutes long. So, are you saying that iDVD will compress the video before it burns it to the DVD? If that's the case, that would be awesome!!!

Thanks again.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yes, iDVD will fit 90 minutes of video on a blank DVD, regardless of what the file size is before compressing.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Yes, iDVD will fit 90 minutes of video on a blank DVD, regardless of what the file size is before compressing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Awesome!!! It sounds like I was just making things seem harder than they really should have been huh! Thanks alot for all of your responses!