Final Cut Studio + Scratch Disk is External HD = Crash

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I run final cut studio with the scratch disk and project files on an external hard drive on my mac pro with firewire 400, Final Cut Pro gets really slow, crashes, and burns. When I run the project from my computers internal HD, all is well. What gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    That's odd, I know someone who does the same thing but is using a quad G5 and a USB 2 HD and it works ok AFAIK.

What is the make of your drive? Maybe you could try running Disk Utility on it to see if there are any problems.

Does capturing to the drive have any problems or is it just when editing projects?

Also, what format are you using, SD or HD and I presume DV?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

That's odd, I know someone who does the same thing but is using a quad G5 and a USB 2 HD and it works ok AFAIK.

What is the make of your drive? Maybe you could try running Disk Utility on it to see if there are any problems.

Does capturing to the drive have any problems or is it just when editing projects?

Also, what format are you using, SD or HD and I presume DV?

I'm using DV format. It is a custom built drive. BUT. It works fine on my iMac w/ Final Cut.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I'm using DV format. It is a custom built drive. BUT. It works fine on my iMac w/ Final Cut.

It could be the Mac Pro versions of the USB2 drivers that the custom enclosure uses. Also check to see there's no energy saver preferences that maybe put the drive to sleep when it's not being accessed.