64-bitness for the average user

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm sooo ready to drop the loot for a new black Macbook because I desperately want to make the jump from Windows (which has been good to me, I'll admit) to Mac. The problem is the waiting game for the update. I'm not sure if the Macbook will get updated along with the MBP, and if they made a 13" MBP I'd definately have to consider. I figure it'd be nice to have a GPU for games but it's not a necessity for me and I'd rather have the extended battery life of the Macbook. My only reasons for waiting on it is to see if maybe the C2D will have a big impact on battery life, although I know it's not suppose to, I'm hoping that Apple has found a better battery solution. Also I'm wondering about the 64-bitness of Leopard. Is this really going to be a big deal for the average user? I've read that it's mainly only for serious video editing junkies and hardcore developers. And the 4 to 16 gigs of ram or whatever that it supports is really just overkill and going to bog down the system response. Are we really going to see any 64 bit love for the average user in the next 3-5 years??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana

Also I'm wondering about the 64-bitness of Leopard. Is this really going to be a big deal for the average user?

No, it won't be.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana

My only reasons for waiting on it is to see if maybe the C2D will have a big impact on battery life, although I know it's not suppose to, I'm hoping that Apple has found a better battery solution.

Take a look at this anand tech article. I also read somewhere that the Memorm uses 20-watts at idle while the Yonah uses only 13-watts. Then again, look at the data in the article. It looks like the battery life will at least be a little bit better.

But I am hoping for the same thing you are -- that apple figures out some improvements for the heat issues in both MacBook lines and the subtle vibration issue I've experienced in MacBooks and the humming or what-ever in the MBPs that I've heard of. I use my PowerBook 8+ hours/day and I want it quiet, cool and vibration free. Slightly better speed or 64-bits is less of an issue.