QT6 and QT5 Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I already have QT5 Pro, and would like to download QT6 so that I can watch the things that require 6. I don't use the Pro features of 5 enough to justify spending the money on 6Pro, but I do use them, like once every other month. I have 2 hds, so I was going to try installing 6 on one, and 5 Pro on the other, but the 6 installer detects that 5 Pro is on the other drive,and threatens to deactivate the Pro features if I don't buy 6Pro. Is there a way around this? To have both versions at once?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well, what I have done seems to be very simple and work.

I created a folder called "Add-on Apps" for all the apps that I install that does not come preloaded with 10. Then I just dragged QuickTime 5 pro into there and installed QT6 which installs into the regular "Applications" folder.

I can load QT5 whenever I want but have the luxury of QT6 be the main QT.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by chales:

<strong>Well, what I have done seems to be very simple and work.

I can load QT5 whenever I want but have the luxury of QT6 be the main QT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wish I'd thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

Will Quicktime 5 pro even work on 10.2 though?

Alex.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Oh crap. I just realized Quicktime 5 isn't available for download for OS X anymore (was it ever? I can't remember). Any ideas on how to get it back?

Alex.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120084"; target="_blank">QuickTime 5 Reinstaller for Mac OS X</a>

J :cool:
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but I am still using OS 9. The Add-On Apps procedure does not work, the installer still threatens to kill my QT5 Pro. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I think I'm going to do 3 partitions. One for OS 10.2, one for 10.2 and one for 9. If necessary, I'll boot into 10.1 to use Quicktime 5.

Alex.