Cannot update to Nano software 1.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I also posted this on Apple's discussion boards:

Today I purchased a 2nd generation nano that I plan to use with the Nike + iPod system (I bought the sport kit too). The instructions say that I must have software version 1.2 on my nano in order for the Nike + thing to work. However, I cannot get 1.2 on my nano because I have no idea where to get it. I am using iTunes 7.0.1 and it says my software is up to date and offers no other software. iTunes does not even realize that version 1.2 is available. I even tried doing the restore method. My nano currently has software version 1.0.2 on it. I tried downloading the iPod software Updater but of course that does not work now that I have iTunes 7.

My question is how do I get version 1.2? Should iTunes 7 automatically know that the version is available and download it? Is there anyway to manually download it into iTunes 7? Can I still use the Nike + system even with 1.0.2?

Thanks for any help!

FYI - I am using a PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.8

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redmen34

I also posted this on Apple's discussion boards:

Today I purchased a 2nd generation nano that I plan to use with the Nike + iPod system (I bought the sport kit too). The instructions say that I must have software version 1.2 on my nano in order for the Nike + thing to work. However, I cannot get 1.2 on my nano because I have no idea where to get it. I am using iTunes 7.0.1 and it says my software is up to date and offers no other software. iTunes does not even realize that version 1.2 is available. I even tried doing the restore method. My nano currently has software version 1.0.2 on it. I tried downloading the iPod software Updater but of course that does not work now that I have iTunes 7.

My question is how do I get version 1.2? Should iTunes 7 automatically know that the version is available and download it? Is there anyway to manually download it into iTunes 7? Can I still use the Nike + system even with 1.0.2?

Thanks for any help!

FYI - I am using a PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.8

Also, I did plug in the Nike + device into my nano and immediately a menu option for Nike + showed up. After I unplugged the the device and plugged my nano back into my computer it asked me about transferring my Nike + data. So does that mean it will still work without 1.2?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Are you sure you read the current installed version correctly? Because I thought that the latest iPods shipped with the latest firmware pre-installed, and it sounds like the Nike+ stuff is working just fine.

I think that the menu item "Check for Updates?" in the "iTunes" menu of iTunes checks for both iPod firmware updates and iTunes program updates.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yes I read the current version correctly, but I did look at it a couple times to make sure. I think I got my answer from the Apple discussion boards. Apparently the 1st generation nano and the 2nd generation nano have different firmwares. The current firmware on the 1 generation is 1.2 while the current firmware on the 2nd generation is 1.0.2. So I think I am fine after all and everything appears to be working properly, although i have not had the opportunity to really try out the Nike + iPod kit. So we'll see. And I agree, I thought the iPods were shipped with the current firmware which made me confused as to why I would have to update right away.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Ah yes, it is confusing how Apple do that (different firmware numbers for different versions of one model) and I'd not thought of it as a possibility.

Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad it's all sorted
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Hey I just got my 8gb 2nd gen nano updated to 1.1.. is this correct??

It finally fixes the smart playlist issue, but ONTHEGO playlists are still not working properyly, anyone else can confirm this?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    My red iPod nano comes with software version 1.0.2.