G4 800 doesn't recognize CD drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The story is kind of complicated, but I'll try to keep it short: I have a G4 800 that I bought years ago when the OS9-OSX switch was going on. The machine is used only for audio recording. When I bought it, the drive was partitioned as a dual boot, with an OS9 drive and an OSX drive running Panther. My version of Digital Performer won't run on Tiger, and since it runs flawlessly opn Panther, I'm hesitant to upgrade DP. However, I tried to wipe the OS9 drive and install tiger today so i could run some other software on the machine. The problem is that once I erased the OS9 drive, the machine no longer recognizes the CD drive, and therefore I can't run the Tiger installation on the old OS9 partition.

Where should I start to remedy this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Is it possible that your drive is a CD-R drive that doesn't read any DVDs, such as the Tiger DVD?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Actually, that is possible. I guess if this were true, I'd need to buy a DVD drive? Or could I use one of my iMacs to help install my version of Tiger from the DVD?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Try this goto the apple top left and about this mac and click more info

Now click on Disc Burning and see if it is seen via the system and if so what type of drive it is. eg. CD, CDRW, DVD, DVDRW

It may also be a cable issue if it cannot be seen via system profiler.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Fitzgerald

Actually, that is possible. I guess if this were true, I'd need to buy a DVD drive? Or could I use one of my iMacs to help install my version of Tiger from the DVD?

1. You can buy a Dual Layer 16x DVDRW drive for about $40 to install in you PMG4.

- You may need this driver right now (but once Tiger's installed you shouldn't)

2. You could swap your Tiger DVD for CDs using this form.

3. You could use Firewire Target Disk Mode to use the DVD drive on another Mac to install on the G4.

- Connect the two Macs with a 6pn-to-6pin Firewire Cable

- Insert the Tiger disk in to the iMac. Restart the iMac and hold down the T key.

- A purple screen with a Yellow FW logo will appear.

- The iMac's hard drive and the Tiger install disk will appear on the G4's desktop.

- Restart the G4 and hold down option (aka alt) key.

- Select the Tiger install disk.

- Install Tiger

- On the G4 drag the iMac's Hard Drive and Tiger Disk to the trash and then disconnect the FW cable.

- Use the iMac's power button to switch it off.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'll be damned...it's a CDRW drive. Which would be fine for most of the stuff I do except this installation. What are my options at this point?

EDIT: I see someone just answered this one. Thanks!