Does 10.2 printer sharing employ Rendezvous?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
That's the question. I would think that Apple would want to at least show off Rendezvous with printer sharing since their aren't any Rendevous compliant printers yet available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nordstrodamus:

<strong>That's the question. I would think that Apple would want to at least show off Rendezvous with printer sharing since their aren't any Rendevous compliant printers yet available.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure about that? My print center automatically shows several printers when I'm connected to the nextwork from my office. I can't delete them, either. When I'm connected to another network outside my office, they're gone. I thought that meant they were being automatically discovered or something. :confused: Something's working for sure, though.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Are you sure about that? My print center automatically shows several printers when I'm connected to the nextwork from my office. I can't delete them, either. When I'm connected to another network outside my office, they're gone. I thought that meant they were being automatically discovered or something. :confused: Something's working for sure, though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I think I remember them saying that some printer manufacturers were going to release rendezvous capable printers in the future. I'm not sure exactly how a mac decides to show different printers on the local network, but it probably has something to do with what printer drivers it comes stock with.

I tried to setup printer sharing once on an iMac running OS 9 that was also serving as a software base station. I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn't get it to work, but suffice it to say that the USB shared printer didn't pop up in the printer list.