MBP hard drive upgrade voids warranty?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 1st gen mbp and want more than 80gigs of space I want the 160. A lot of people have told me that because of the dificulty involved upgrading the hd voids the warranty, is this true?

If it is would it be possible to buy the drive elsewhere and have apple install it, thus not voiding my warranty?

If desperate I'd be fine with buying the drive from apple and having them install but it is even possible to do that with the old mbps?

I just don't want to f with my apple care after spending upwards of 2 bills on it.

If all current users are stuck with no upgrade path because of warranty liabilities I'll be kinda pissed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I asked at my local Apple store about upgrading the hard drive in the PB. The genius there told me that they did not install larger hard drives, they would only replace a hard drive with one of the same size. He said I would need to go to an authorized reseller (which we have here) to get it done. He further told me that even if I went there, it would void my warranty and Applecare. Would presume that the infor would also apply to a MB.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skybolt

I asked at my local Apple store about upgrading the hard drive in the PB. The genius there told me that they did not install larger hard drives, they would only replace a hard drive with one of the same size. He said I would need to go to an authorized reseller (which we have here) to get it done. He further told me that even if I went there, it would void my warranty and Applecare. Would presume that the infor would also apply to a MB.

Not so for the MacBook. The drive is considered user replaceable and is super easy to remove. You pop out the battery, remove a little plate, and you have access to the memory and hard drive. The hard drive actually just pulls right out. Instructions are provided for it's replacement.