Mac Pro / CS2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Thanks guys.

It's a 388KB file. If you could open it, select all, and apply the Pathfinder 'Divide' command that would be great. It's a very simple and regularly used command, but I'd be interested to hear what happens.

It crashes Illustrator CS2 on my iMac CD, iMac C2D and Mac Pro. I'm running Illustrator CS2 12.0.1 and OS X 10.4.8.

Many thanks,

Cam.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Thanks guys.

It's a 388KB file. If you could open it, select all, and apply the Pathfinder 'Divide' command that would be great. It's a very simple and regularly used command, but I'd be interested to hear what happens.

It crashes Illustrator CS2 on my iMac CD, iMac C2D and Mac Pro. I'm running Illustrator CS2 12.0.1 and OS X 10.4.8.

Many thanks,

Cam.

Where is the file??
  • Reply 23 of 28
    kerikeri Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Thanks guys.

Many thanks,

Cam.

same thing happens to me. i can't figure it out
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I have just recently purchased a mac pro 2.66Ghz intel zeon and have only recently installed cs2 for some print based work. I have upgraded the memory to 3GB and as of yet have really struggled to run in design on the machine. I am finding it really frustrating that I just simply cant print large files or pdf these files. Come to think of it even the most simple of files crash out on me. Almost 2G worth of mac and my little mini mac seems to be moe powerful at the moment! I have heard that cs3 will solve these issue so that is will run natively on the intel macs yet when I contacted adobe they couldnt guarantee it. Oddly though I usse dreamweaver which is also power PC based yet this never seems to crash. Anyone else having the same issues?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keithriches View Post

I have just recently purchased a mac pro 2.66Ghz intel zeon and have only recently installed cs2 for some print based work. I have upgraded the memory to 3GB and as of yet have really struggled to run in design on the machine. I am finding it really frustrating that I just simply cant print large files or pdf these files. Come to think of it even the most simple of files crash out on me. Almost 2G worth of mac and my little mini mac seems to be moe powerful at the moment! I have heard that cs3 will solve these issue so that is will run natively on the intel macs yet when I contacted adobe they couldnt guarantee it. Oddly though I usse dreamweaver which is also power PC based yet this never seems to crash. Anyone else having the same issues?

We also have a bug where if you have two Adobe apps open and launch a 3rd, one of the others crashes. So Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator can't all be open at the same time. Dreamweaver is probably more stable because even though Adobe own it, it was developed by Macromedia. Adobe Mac software has gotten quite bloated over the past few years. I think the Intel switch will be a good thing because it's forcing Adobe to rewrite a lot of the code and CS3 beta shows how it should be done - from initial testing it seems faster than the Windows version. It's crazy how slow Adobe have been. They're still using CFM plugins, which can only be developed using Codewarrior.

What do your crash logs show btw?

One things to watch with CS2 is that it messes up your machine due to a bad file it installs. If you run Disk Utility, it should give you an error (unless Apple have fixed the issue). You need to repair this immediately if it comes up. You can run Disk Utility off the boot disc or you can boot into single user mode by holding command-s and type fsck -f (all the fans go on but don't worry).
  • Reply 26 of 28
    thats a bit worying about a dodgy file on install. I have run disk utility and repaired the errors. I find it incedible how adobe have fallen so far behind especially after I read that old school quark are already ahead on this one! It would seem that cs3 will solve these issues and offer up some new features but I find it a little cheeky that you have to upgrade and spend even more money as opposed to looking after your customers. worth having a read of this http://mediadesigner.digitalmedianet...e.jsp?id=43386
  • Reply 27 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keithriches View Post

thats a bit worying about a dodgy file on install. I have run disk utility and repaired the errors. I find it incedible how adobe have fallen so far behind especially after I read that old school quark are already ahead on this one! It would seem that cs3 will solve these issues and offer up some new features but I find it a little cheeky that you have to upgrade and spend even more money as opposed to looking after your customers. worth having a read of this http://mediadesigner.digitalmedianet...e.jsp?id=43386

The problem is that Indesign users are going nowhere and Adobe know it. Adobe have so much in their suite that nobody comes close to offering such a full solution. The Creative Suite has everything from page layout tools, vector graphics, web design to photo editing.

I really wish that companies wouldn't become so arrogant when they get that big. Sony are the same in what they did with the PS3 but I think they're taking a serious hit with it.

I actually agree with the direction Adobe are going but they should have started doing it much sooner and releasing universal beta versions should have been their way to make up for it. I'm using PS CS3 beta all the time now but the designers I work with wish that Illustrator and Indesign were the same. Photoshop CS3 isn't even that great because it has a problem whereby brush tips don't show correctly so it's very hard to do any work with it.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The problem is that Indesign users are going nowhere and Adobe know it. Adobe have so much in their suite that nobody comes close to offering such a full solution. The Creative Suite has everything from page layout tools, vector graphics, web design to photo editing.

I really wish that companies wouldn't become so arrogant when they get that big. Sony are the same in what they did with the PS3 but I think they're taking a serious hit with it.

I actually agree with the direction Adobe are going but they should have started doing it much sooner and releasing universal beta versions should have been their way to make up for it. I'm using PS CS3 beta all the time now but the designers I work with wish that Illustrator and Indesign were the same. Photoshop CS3 isn't even that great because it has a problem whereby brush tips don't show correctly so it's very hard to do any work with it.

Well I hear you on that. Their is no excuse for such poor service. I agree that in principal, it is more efficient to release a new version that works with all of the extra bits you wish you did have in the old but that doesnt help you when you have a brand new shiny G5 with all of the power to launch a rocket yet it cant perofrm basic commands like print! A package that, if were being honest, is built for designers who, again if were being honest, use macs and yet it doesnt work? It just means that I have to use two computers until the upgrades come out. The thing is though, like all initial releases their are bugs and I was always one for waiting for the second release but I have no choice this time. I just wish I knew about these problems prior to shelling out for what I thought would be a superior machine