Parallels, Using Win XP from VPC 7.0

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have VPC 7 which includes Windows XP and I have purchased Parallels for my new Intel/Mac. Is there some way to use the Windows XP OS included in my VPC package for Parallels? There is a file Windows XP Professional.vhd.002 but it does not appear to be an installation file.

I would hate to spend the money to buy XP again, if I can legally use my purchased copy of the OS.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhedges View Post

I have VPC 7 which includes Windows XP and I have purchased Parallels for my new Intel/Mac. Is there some way to use the Windows XP OS included in my VPC package for Parallels? There is a file Windows XP Professional.vhd.002 but it does not appear to be an installation file.

I would hate to spend the money to buy XP again, if I can legally use my purchased copy of the OS.

Michael, there is an easy solution. First you must download the trial version of VMware Fusion. Next, download the VMware importer. Use the importer to convert your VPC Windows image to VMware format. Next boot your parallels transporter. Follow the instructions to convert the VMware rendition of the VPC image to a Parallels compatible format. This may take some time.

Voila, the image with the custom settings will open in Parallels.

This technique is in no way intended to circumvent/violate any software license.

Hope this works for you.

Macwild