ARRRG! Airport Express Drop Outs!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, so I moved into an apartment recently and selected an Airport Express for my wireless solution as it's a small place. I'm using Comcast Internet.

Problem is, there are so any wireless networks in my complex. It seems no matter what I do, when one gentlemen (or gentle lady!) logs on ("orissnet") my computer (Mac OR Windows) drops the connection. I have to reboot the AE and then it's OK. I had similar problems at my old house (a single family house) with an original Aiport station (snow). At the time I determined it was time to get a new base station (there were other problems) and got an Airport Extreme, which fixed most of the problem.

Long question short: What can I do about this annoying problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    (I hope everything is ok at home).

Is this an external user logging on?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

(I hope everything is ok at home).

Is this an external user logging on?

No, it's just someone's network. when it's detectable, I usually get booted.

Thanks for the well wishes about home. My wife and I separated amicably a few months ago...so that's the deal there.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I think it is interference from the other person's network then... try changing the channel for your airport to something like 9...

Hope this helps....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I had tons of dropouts with my airport express, and I live so far from everybody else that I know for sure it was not an interfering network. Finally I gave up and returned it, but afterworlds somebody here mentioned that it might have been the fact that the airport express was plugged into a powerbar on the floor, and the power cords from the rest of my stereo were draped around it forming an EMF cage.

If you have the airport express up and out of the way of power cords that might help. Somebody else also said that turning on or off "interface robustness" might have an effect.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

I had tons of dropouts with my airport express, and I live so far from everybody else that I know for sure it was not an interfering network. Finally I gave up and returned it, but afterworlds somebody here mentioned that it might have been the fact that the airport express was plugged into a powerbar on the floor, and the power cords from the rest of my stereo were draped around it forming an EMF cage.

If you have the airport express up and out of the way of power cords that might help. Somebody else also said that turning on or off "interface robustness" might have an effect.

It is plugged into a power bar. Hmm...that's a good thought..I'll try moving it.