How to connect to the internet while using Parallels?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello!

I have Microsoft Windows® Vista Ultimate Build 5600 Release Candidate 1 installed using Parallels® Desktop for Mac Build 1922 Release Candidate 2. Everything is working fine except connection to the internet. I simply cannot connect to the internet and I really want to do so. I have a Broadband connection which requires a PPPoE user name and password to connect. Please guide me how to get my Windows installation connected to the internet!

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Install the parallels Tools.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    LOL! That's helpful!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Update to Parallels 1966 and select the new Shared Networking option.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    OK, I'll try that. Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    don't forget an anti-virus.... "Avast " works good with Vista and is free ......
  • Reply 6 of 8
    LOL! I have used Windows too long to ever forget that.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Don't I have to do some settings in Windows for it to work? Maybe enter some IP address or something?

I selected 'Shared networking' in Parallels but still could not connect to the net on Windows.

This is the error that I am getting:

While we are on the topic, can someone also tell me why I cannot connect a pen drive to Windows on Parallels? I have enabled the 'USB Controller Autoconnect On' option in Parallels.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I have finally got it working. First I got it working using the 'Default Adapter' setting but it allowed me to be connected to the internet in only one of the two OSes, not exactly the solution I was looking for. Then I selected 'Shared Networking' and both Windows and Mac are happily sucking bandwidth now. I had to re-install Windows though. Thanks to everyone who helped!