Hide windows Icon?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I just installed bootcamp an d everything works fine. It's just that the windows partition shows up on the desktop along with the Macintosh one (instead of jujst one icon saying "Macintosh HD", there is another 1 identical to it also named "untitled", but it is windows). I was just wondering if there was a way to make it hidden. I tried to move it somewhere else and it just made an alias. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    When you say "HIde", do you mean unmount it?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    I don't know, just make it so t isn't visible on the desktop. I don't need to access the files while I'm in tiger, and it just looks a little more cluttered...probably sound like some kind of neat freak or something haha.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Finder Preferences --> General --> uncheck "Hard disks" from the "Show these items on the Desktop" list. That removes your Mac hard drive icon from the desktop as well, though! But maybe you can live with that.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Well I'd rather have only the windows icon disappear but its not a huge deal. Just being picky.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    You can have an Applescript eject that particular disk on startup. I can write it for you, but 19 out of the last 23 posters that I wrote a script for never came back or never used it.

What's the name of the disk - just "untitled"?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah, it's just called untitled. If there is any risk in me doing this for just making it disappear, I won't do it...it isn't that big of a deal. If there is like no way of it somehow screwing something up I'll do it though.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I just tested it with one of my partitions. It works fine.

First, click the link below. This will place the script into a new document in your Script Editor.

Next, save it as an application and give it a name like "UnmountWindows".

Next, open System Preferences->Accounts. Select your account and look for Login Items. Drag the script file from wherever you saved it, into the Login Items list.

That's it. The next time you boot, it should unmount the volume. It should still show up in Boot Camp when you boot into Windows. I don't have that so I cannot test it.

If you need to re-mount the volume, launch Disk Utility, select the volume, and click the Mount button on the Toolbar.

CLICK HERE to automatically place this script into Script Editor.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you'd done what gwoodpecker suggested, you could have put a shortcut to your drive on your desktop but that would probably leave external disks off the desktop too. You should also get into the habit of naming drives - call one Mac and the other Windows or something.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I'm going for 20 out of 24.

When you boot up, once the desktop appears, OS X will execute the script in the Login Items list and you will see the menu bar say "UnmountWindows" or whatever you named the script, and then it will continue the boot-up.

I do the same thing with a script that sets my dual G5 not to "Nap" (to eliminate the "chirp" that it does), by calling a do shell script on the "hwprefs" BSD command. I see the "deChirp" script name in the menu bar next to the blue Apple for a few seconds with each boot-up, and you can hear the chirp stop.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    This worked good. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I do the same thing with a script that sets my dual G5 not to "Nap" (to eliminate the "chirp" that it does), by calling a do shell script on the "hwprefs" BSD command. I see the "deChirp" script name in the menu bar next to the blue Apple for a few seconds with each boot-up, and you can hear the chirp stop.

Doesn't the CHUD tool do that? It adds a processor system preference that has the nap option. Or does it get reset after booting?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Yup. It resets after booting. That is why you need to do the hwprefs call on login. ("man hwprefs" in Terminal to see the things you can ask for, if you have CHUD installed)