A few problems with OS X.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello!

I have recently bought an Apple MacBook Pro 17" and there are a few problems that I am facing with the operating system I need solved. Please help me out!

1. Isn't there any setting to make the Finder always show thumbnail previews of images? By default, it only shows the thumbnail previews of images that I have edited in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

2. When I have edited an image in Photoshop and saved it; the next time I open it, it opens with Adobe Photoshop by default. Why is it so and how to prevent that? The problem wouldn't have been too bad had it not been for the third problem...

3. ... that I cannot change the default application a particular file type opens with. I right click on it, select 'Open With >> Other...', click on the application I want to set as default, enable 'Always Open With' and hit Return, but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

4. Is there any straightforward way to hide files and/or folders like on Windows?

5. Where can I get a list of ALL the keyboard/mouse shortcuts for OS X and Apple applications? The 'Keyboard Shortcuts' list in 'System Preferences' is rather limited, is it not?

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Well, I don't know about question #4, but I can help with the others.

1. While in icon mode, click Finder > View > Show View Options from the menu bar. Check the box that says "Show Icon Preview" and click the circle button at the top that says "All Windows". This should do the trick.

2 & 3. Mac OS X is a different beast than Windows when it comes to files and the applications they are associated with. It goes beyond just what extension the file has. Any file can be set to open with a specific application regardless of what extension it has or what application other files with the same extension open with. When I first switched from Windows 3 years ago, I found this annoying until I learned how to get around this.

First choose the file with the extension you want to specify a default application. Ctrl/Right-click on the file and choose Get Info. Under "Open With:", select the application you want to open the file with and then click the button "Change All". Now all files with the same extension will open in your specified application.

5. Here's some websites that might help with locating OS X keyboard shortcuts:

http://rixstep.com/2/20040510,00.shtml

http://www.ergonis.com/products/keycue/

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Thanks a lot!

BTW, why do the previews of photoshopped images have a nice shadow under them and the default previews of Finder are bland? See screenshot:

The one on the left is the default preview of an image in Finder and the one on the right is the preview of a file that has been edited in Adobe Photoshop CS2.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

Hello!

4. Is there any straightforward way to hide files and/or folders like on Windows?

Hello!

Try starting the file or folder name with a dot (.) and it will be invisible. Is that what you mean?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Yup, that's what I meant. Thanks!

Edit: This error popped up on trying that:

What am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Yup, that's what I meant. Thanks!

Edit: This error popped up on trying that:

What am I doing wrong?

You need to use the terminal.

In the terminal, type in

Code:

mv filetohide .filetohide

If that scares you, it should. Why would you want to hide files?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks a lot!

BTW, why do the previews of photoshopped images have a nice shadow under them and the default previews of Finder are bland? See screenshot:

The one on the left is the default preview of an image in Finder and the one on the right is the preview of a file that has been edited in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

The preview on the left is generated by the Finder, and the one on the right is generated by Photoshop.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, he said that.

The reason is that the Finder just displays the actual image, scaled down, while PS creates a custom icon for the file that adds the drop shadow, and the Finder is displaying that custom icon.

First pic: No custom icon, Finder is reading entire file to generate thumbnail.

Second pic: Custom icon created by PS, Finder is displaying that instead.

BTW, the custom icon is much faster for the Finder to display than the first case, especially if you have large images to deal with.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    To hide files you could use Ghost Sphere or similar.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    edit: NM.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I tested this with a rtf file on my desktop and it works.... but it is GONE now! How to I uninvisible it?

RESOLVED:

To view hidden files in the finder open terminal and copy/paste this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

(Press Enter)

And to revert back:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

(Press Enter)
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

To create pic icons with fancy drop shadows (sigh! ) grab Pic2Icon Note that you may have to log out and then in again to see the new icons... depends on whether the Finder has already drawn its ghetto icon for that pic, or not.

Just drag folders of images onto p2i, after setting p2i's preferences. Drop shadows is in there.

You have to do it individually for every file you want. There is no automated system for generating icons for each picture on the system, I would have loved that.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

You have to do it individually for every file you want. There is no automated system for generating icons for each picture on the system, I would have loved that.

The thing is, you either generate icons on the fly or save them as part of the file like Photoshop.

Saving as part of the file wastes space - I believe Windows saves icons in a thumbs.db file and I've seen these reaches MBs. If you have hundreds of folders with MBs wasted in each one, you can waste quite a lot of space.

The Finder goes the route of generating on the fly and this saves space but it's slower. If they generated a drop shadow too, that would slow the process down further for very little added value.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I tested this with a rtf file on my desktop and it works.... but it is GONE now! How to I uninvisible it?

RESOLVED:

To view hidden files in the finder open terminal and copy/paste this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

(Press Enter)

And to revert back:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

(Press Enter)

Huh? You told it not to show all files and now it's not showing all files. I must not be understanding you.

See what this says:

defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles
  • Reply 14 of 20
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Huh? You told it not to show all files and now it's not showing all files. I must not be understanding you.

See what this says:

defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

The first one, turns on showing ALL files for the operating system with the word TRUE. Then you have to type in "killall Finder" for the finder to relaunch with the new settings applied. Once you are DONE wanting to see all the files, you enter the second part, "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE", to turn off show all files. Showing all files refers to showing system files and hidden files. Again, for this command to be applied, you must kill the finder so it relaunches by entering into terminal: "killall Finder".
  • Reply 15 of 20
    You said the .rtf file was "GONE". Of course it is gone (not shown) if you set the Finder to not show all of the files.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

You said the .rtf file was "GONE". Of course it is gone (not shown) if you set the Finder to not show all of the files.

No. My point was: it is still on my desktop, and it's gone as in I can't get to it, but I want to delete it because its technically still there.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I presume this is a file whose name starts with a dot? Then just delete it from within the Terminal.

Code:

cd ~/Desktop

rm .filename.rtf

• Reply 18 of 20
    For hiding/protecting your files, use the diskutility and create a image that is password protected.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Try Filebuddy to hide and re-show files, as well as heaps of other things

http://www.skytag.com/filebuddy/