purchase advice: pb -> mbp/imac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi all,

please advise on my current purchasing situation! i think i might've already made my mind up, but good to share! i live in japan right now, but i'll convert prices roughly into USD to make things more understandable:

computer needs: audio production using logic and various plugins, generally internet/email/entertainment use, the odd bit of retro gaming. portability is semi-important as i am unsure how my domestic situation will change in the near future and i am fond of working on music during work breaks/in the park8)

current machine: 12" pb upgraded to 1.25gig ram with applecare

option 1: i have an offer for the pb at about $1300 which i think is reasonably generous. i could sell the pb and upgrade to the 15", 2.33ghz mbp model for an additional outlay of about $1800 and have a top spec professional laptop

alternatively;

option 2: keep the pb as my portable machine and use the $1800 to buy a 20" imac, using that as my machine for in the house and the pb as my portable option. leaving both bases covered.

as of the moment (well, about 10 minutes ago!) it seems that option 2 is much better. i was keen on option 1, but since i would love to have a desktop but can't possibly justify a mac pro, option 2 seems great for covering all my bases and would stop me having to unplug everything when i want to take the machine out of the house.

anyway, please give me your comments!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    Yes I think option 2 looks better. The 12" powerbook is way more portable than the 15" MBP and having two machines is very handy if one messes up. Because your powerbook is older, you also won't feel so insecure about taking it around with you. If I had a new MBP and it was my only machine, I'd be anxious to take it outside anywhere because if anything happens to it like some kid hurls a water balloon then not only would it be my only machine but irreplacable given that it's so expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    i'm very much tempted to score the imac... but other factors make me reluctant to buy.., not the machines, just various costs/life BS... you know how it goes!