Apple MBP Shipping Weirdness

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All,

As I have been posting everywhere and anywhere, I ordered a BTO MBP from the Apple Ed. Store on Tues, 10/31 (sorry I'm excited!). It's is a 15.4/160GB/2GB/256MB. I had it shipped standard, then called the same day to upgrade the shipping to 2-3 day via FedEx.

The item was scheduled to ship on 11/3 and did so. I got an e-mail notification just after midnight EST! Scheduled delivery was for 11/8, Wednesday. Then it was moved up to Tuesday, 11/7! All was well!

So last night, just after midnight, I get ANOTHER shipment notice. I know I did not order anything else such as Applecare, so that was weird. It was the same web order number and there was a tracking number. I clicked on the web order number it took me to Apple's site. It asked me to enter my shipping zip code. I did and it took me to the order page. I then clicked on the tracking number and it took me to FedEx.

FedEx told me that destination was Dearborn, MI or something! What? I confirmed the legiitmacy of all e-mails and web sites, then logged back into manually to the Apple Ed Store. Then I manually entered the tracking number into FedEx again...and it came up as the original order, to be shipped to me in PA. WTF?

I called Apple and now that same glitch is not happening. The guy was flabergasted...he had never heard of anything like this before. He confirmed my address and I tracked the package again...still scheduled for 11/7 in West Chester, PA.

What the hell was this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I've had the same thing happen—yes, to Dearborn also; it's just a database glitch I think-- it's some old recycled number or something weird. Don't worry, you'll get it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Sometimes they will use the same tracking number for an entire shipment of items. Once they get to a certain location, they will be split up and use different tracking numbers. Anyway, don't fret. My 2nd MacBook arrived 2 days ahead of schedule!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    I read in another post where ppl were getting shipping notifications for (get this) the upgraded shipping that they added to their order. Kinda like a hall of mirrors.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iomatic

I've had the same thing happen?yes, to Dearborn also; it's just a database glitch I think-- it's some old recycled number or something weird. Don't worry, you'll get it.

Hey iomatic, are you getting another portable? I remember last year you and I were waiting for our 15" last-of-the-mohicans PB DL.

I'm currently waiting on a 17" MBP C2D.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yeah; just ordered the 160/2.33ghz 15! w00t!

see the macnn forums for status (ordered friday, expected around friday next or later).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

Yeah; just ordered the 160/2.33ghz 15! w00t!

see the macnn forums for status (ordered friday, expected around friday next or later).

Woot! They tried to deliver TODAY! It was originally on the 8th. Then it was tomorrow. Now it's going to be my local distribution center after 5:00. I'm going to get it! WOOT!

• Reply 7 of 10
    When did you order?

Not yet shipped

Ordering on a Friday is a bad idea, unless you enjoy two extra days of waiting.

What can I say, I'm a masochist.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

When did you order?

Not yet shipped

Ordering on a Friday is a bad idea, unless you enjoy two extra days of waiting.

What can I say, I'm a masochist.

I got it! Files are transferring via migration assistant now! So far it is perfect. The keyboard backlighting is awesome, much better than my G4 was. I just noticed that. This is my last post from my Windows POS laptop!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

I got it! Files are transferring via migration assistant now! So far it is perfect. The keyboard backlighting is awesome, much better than my G4 was. I just noticed that. This is my last post from my Windows POS laptop!

Would you mind giving a report on it? I am undecided between a MBP and an iMac. I want the MBP but the pussy video card concerns me. I don't game a lot but I do want to be able to play Call of Duty 2 and WOW for a few years on it.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Cool.

I hate you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001