Question about monitors that have HDMI

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning on slowly upgrading my computer monitors to widescreen models during the next year, likely 22 inches or so. Samsung makes a 224BW model which is a 22 inch widescreen at a good price. I have heard that Samsung, Dell ,and Viewsonic are the best brands to look at. Any other brands I should look into? What I like about the Samsung is it does have HDCP.

I know technology always changes but I want to do the best I can to buy futureproof technology. I like watching HDTV so want something that could even display HDTV without the computer for example by hooking up a cable or satellite receiver to it. I have heard to look for a monitor that has a HDMI port but I don't see it and I wouldn't want to pay a lot extra for it. I know most have both a DVI port as well as a DVI-D port. Of course the DVI port would be used by the computer but with a switchbox could I hook up a satellite/cable receiver to the DVI port and watch HDTV on it since it has HDCP? As well, do these monitors display 1080p or only 720p and 1080i?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My 21" Gateway FPD2185W has DVI-HDCP as well as a Hi-Def component input. The resolution is 1680 x 1050. On my PC I could watch a 16:9 1080i signal in the PIP window while running the main display via DVI. I can't get it to connect via DVI on my MacBook though, only VGA. When it runs in VGA, you can't do PIP via component.