Does anyone use 2 monitors with their Apple Macs?

om2om2
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've just bought an Apple laptop.

I'm a bit frustrated I have to get an adapter to use another monitor.

I was juts wondering: do a lot of people use dual monitors?

I'm coming from PC land.

Once you're used to 2 or more monitors... it's really hard to go back to a single screen!

I know several people who have Apple machines... but I don't know anyone who uses dual screens.

Just looking for some feedback.

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I do and so do half the Mac users that work at our ad agency. Dual monitors are much simpler to set up on a Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It's simple .... I assume you have a macbook since that is the only laptop not shipping with an adapter these days. It is very easy to set it up, just plug it in, go to sys pregs, put the monitor in the right position and you are good to go.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    dual monitors are generally very nice, but imo the way the macos gui is designed it's not a very efficient way of working with several documents and/or applications 'simultaneously'.

you basically just dump stuff you just want to be visible on one screen and do all the actual work on the other...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i've used dual monitors on my macs since, jeez, 1993. what kind of difficulty are you having. when i had my laptop as my main machine i just plugged a dvi cord into it and then into the monitor. the laptop was one screen the external monitor was the other.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What's the problem here? The macbook pro is a pro machine and comes with full dvi due to it's size. The macbook is a smaller consumer machine and only has the mini port so you need an adapter. Not a big deal just get one of these and call it a day.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=M9321G%2FB

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=M9320G%2FA
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OM2

I've just bought an Apple laptop.

I'm a bit frustrated I have to get an adapter to use another monitor.

I was juts wondering: do a lot of people use dual monitors?

I'm coming from PC land.

Once you're used to 2 or more monitors... it's really hard to go back to a single screen!

I know several people who have Apple machines... but I don't know anyone who uses dual screens.

Just looking for some feedback.

OM

I have a 20" iMac connected to a 23 inch ACD. Comes in handy a lot of the time

All you need the adapter (for the mini DVI on the iMac and Macbook)

There are a few differences with Windows
    • In Windows, you can move the screens apart, thus making a dead space in the middle of the two screens. With OSX, it treats it as a contiguous screen, and will not allow separation.

• In Windows, the task bar will span all screens. With OSX, the upper taskbar is only on one monitor.

• In Windows, the wallpaper is common for both screens, but in OSX, you can specify different ones, and even how they behave. With my setup, the iMac is my picture album, and I have it rotate between pictures I consider important every 5 seconds.

What I would really like ios some app that can ‘throw’ screens between displays, like UltraMon for XP.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

All you need the adapter (for the mini DVI on the iMac and Macbook)

Can you suggest (link to ) the correct cable from an iMac?

Also, what's a good looking monitor, that matches closely the newer C2D iMac?

Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Can you suggest (link to ) the correct cable from an iMac?

Also, what's a good looking monitor, that matches closely the newer C2D iMac?

Thanks!

I linked to the adapter only a few posts above over half a year ago. Just scroll up.