Do I need to have any considerations installing Windows on my Macbook?

om2om2
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Erm... hopefully... no one will shoot me for asking this:

Do I need to have any considerations installing Windows on my Macbook?

As I understand it... I can install Windows on my Macbook?

Or have I got this wrong.

The guy in the ad says this.

No... no... I'm not being sadistic... I just want to install Windows and try it out!

Too see if it's true.

I've got a couple of brand new SATA hard drives lying around.

So... I thought I'd give it a go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
  • Reply 2 of 7
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    erm... no.

either i'm missing something or ur missing something.

i'm definitely sure i've read (and heard in the ads) that u can install windows on a mac.

i assumed this to mean: you can install a fresh copy of xp on a mac.

(and have no mac OS on it.)

i just wanted to test the theory.

if this isn't possible: hey... someone let me know!

it might save me some time trying to do an install!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    See http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

You have to partition your harddrive, i.e. make a partition for Windows XP, burn a CD with all the necessary drivers, put in a Win XP CD (with SP2) and click Restart. Install Windows. Install drivers from drivers CD. That's it (basically).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OM2

erm... no.

either i'm missing something or ur missing something.

i'm definitely sure i've read (and heard in the ads) that u can install windows on a mac.

i assumed this to mean: you can install a fresh copy of xp on a mac.

(and have no mac OS on it.)

i just wanted to test the theory.

if this isn't possible: hey... someone let me know!

it might save me some time trying to do an install!!

I gave you the easiest way to install Windows on your machine. You said that you wanted to "try it out." Reread gwoodpecker synopsis of a Windows installation via Boot Camp. Is that your idea of a try-out?

Now, I understand that you want to convert your Mac into a Windows-exclusive computer. You should have been a little clearer about what you wanted.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

I gave you the easiest way to install Windows on your machine. You said that you wanted to "try it out." Reread gwoodpecker synopsis of a Windows installation via Boot Camp. Is that your idea of a try-out?

Boot camp isn't that much harder. Parallels requires you to choose a size of image to make and then Ram settings, internet sharing, shared folders etc.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Boot camp isn't that much harder. Parallels requires you to choose a size of image to make and then Ram settings, internet sharing, shared folders etc.

It is not just about ease-of-use. Installation of Boot Camp requires that your hard drive be partitioned with one partition's being reformatted as a Windows-compatible file system. Parallels Workstation installs like an application [which it is] and makes no changes to your hard drive.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jwjjwj Posts: 1member
    About 10 weeks ago, I just got tired of Windows and the not yet ready for prime time updates, virus protection, etc. So I asked my son who works at Fox Television if he thought I could successfully move to mac without killing myself. I'm old and go way back to 9" floppy disks so have been using Ascii, DOS and/or Windows for many years. In fact once upon a time there was a Windows competitor - can't remember Company name but the product was called Ensemble. It was GUI and batch file (similar to automater) driven. It was far superior to Windows but they did not have the $$ to compete and so went by the way side.

In any case, 10 weeks ago I want out and got a Macbook. After checking specs I could see not reason to get the Pro version for what I do. 80Gig HDD, 2Gig Ram, etc. I then turned over to my office staff my PC laptop and parceled out my work load for 2 months.

I then read all available Mac manuals - the best for me turned out to be "Switching to the Mac," by David Pogue. Finally, I turned on my first Mac. Had I not read the books I would have turned it off quickly. But I stuck with it for 8 weeks - loaded MS Office - all good except Entourage. Loaded Adobe Pro - Learned Quark Express - found Firefox, et. al. The only real issue I have with Mac is actually with Corel who does not make a Word Perfect Suite for Mac. Shame on them.

After 2 months, my secretaries - rebelled and made me take back my work load.

That forced me to buy Parallel Desktop for Mac.

Again, I read there manual and check out their website before installing. I then installed - loaded XP - loaded WordPerfect X3, Alpha 5 database, Access, and a couple of other small programs I use from time to time. Now in my third week of dual systems and LOVE IT. Once the shared folders and network connects were finished - everything works great. I say again great.

Since money is not an issue - I bought FileMaker and am reading the manuals before I install. Soon I hope to be only using the XP for less and less and smaller and smaller reasons.

I write books among other things and am so familiar with WordPerfect I will probably hang on to that forever.

I won't suggest what you should do, but if you decide to install XP for fun and learning make sure you get the update from Parallel before or during the setup process. If you have no pressing reason for XP I'd save the $$.

Let me know what you do.

JJ