iMovie - No audio for MPG movies?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, I'm trying to edit some of my movies i took with my sony digital camera, but when I load them into imovie theres no audio. How can I get around this? Is there a codec or something I can download that will allow iMovie to work with MPG movie files? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

Hey, I'm trying to edit some of my movies i took with my sony digital camera, but when I load them into imovie theres no audio. How can I get around this? Is there a codec or something I can download that will allow iMovie to work with MPG movie files? Thanks

Look at the file information. Are they MPEG-2 movies? If so, you'll need to convert them to another format first (AVI, MPEG-4...) to hear the sound in iMovie. I think I used MPEG Streamclip once to do that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks that program is pretty useful. But I just have a questions, I transfered it to a mov file becuase when I do avi it still doesnt work (I think its cause im on an intel machine and damn Divx only has beta out for its universal binary) but when i do transfer the file the sound quality is a littler rougher, more staticy or something. Any suggestions how to avoid this? Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'm not at my Mac right now. What happens when you convert it to MPEG-4?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

Thanks that program is pretty useful. But I just have a questions, I transfered it to a mov file becuase when I do avi it still doesnt work (I think its cause im on an intel machine and damn Divx only has beta out for its universal binary) but when i do transfer the file the sound quality is a littler rougher, more staticy or something. Any suggestions how to avoid this? Thanks

I think Mpeg Streamclip only works if you have Apple's mpeg2 component. Even then, it's dodgy for audio because it doesn't support AC3. There is a decoder for AC3 audio out there but your best bet would be to get ffmpegx ( http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ ). This way you drop the mpeg-2 file on and convert to DV. That DV file should go straight into imovie.