Battery Life..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
PCmag.com's review say that MBP's battery could only reach 2:45 hours with wi-fi on.

but alot of users say that it could hit 4hours with wi-fi on.

Apple.com say that the new MB could reach 3.75hours with wi-fi on.

but alot of people say that it could hit 6hours with wi-fi on.

who should i believe?

and has anyone try testing the new MB's or the new MBP's ??

P.S.: whenever i post a question about battery life no one answers, hope now i'd get someone to answer me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Thats because a lot of factors affect the battery life. CPU usage, fans, LCDbrightness, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, CD/DVD, high graphics, flash, number of programs running...on and on and on...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chatting on msn .. wi-fi on.. everything else off..

lowest birghtness possible.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    what about the comparison between the new MBP with the new Macbook core 2 duo battery wise? Does the macbook get better batt life then the MBP because it uses integrated graphics? Just curious
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes, it does. The smaller screen size also adds up.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    The battery life reported by PC magazine is that obtained when running BAPco's Mobile Mark 2005 battery productivity benchmark. This is a benchmark designed to give you a reliable, controlled, repeatable way to compare battery lives between machines. In isolation, the number doesn't tell you much, is only useful to compare to other machines that also have Mobile Mark 2005 numbers.

The Mobile Mark 2005 productivity benchmark is pretty heavy-duty: it simulates the load of running Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Netscape Communicator, a virus scan, PhotoShop and Flash in various different combinations (i.e., not necessarily all at once).

Battery life depends on a great number of things, principally: CPU load, GPU load, HDD access, optical drive access, wireless, and screen brightness.

If you want to maximise battery life, turn off wireless, reduce brightness of display to one bar above "backlight off", and keep HDD access to a minimum. If you're just typing in TextEdit, you should be able to achieve Apple's quoted battery life.

On the flip side, downloading something over wireless with bittorrent whilst doing a MPEG-2 to H.264 encode and playing Quake 4 with max screen brightness is going to deplete your battery real fast.

Finally, you haven't said (in this thread, at least - don't know about elsewhere) what battery life you are achieving. Is it less than you expected? (Or do you not have a MacBook Pro yet and you're trying to work out how much battery life you can expect?)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Battery life is worse on my new MBP C2D than on my previous TiBook 867mhz w/ 4-year-old battery!

Having said that, I value performance over battery life, so I'm very pleased with my purchase.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    i got 3:30 to 4 hours in my MBP (C2D) .. seems good ..

who cares about battery .. this thing is beautiful !