Library/Quicktime WRU?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright, I hate to be a newb, but I am when it comes to Macs. I've been using PCs since.. god knows when, and recently made the move to switch to Mac.

I'm trying to get my mac to play xVid files-- and I know it's possible. As this site says i can *yay*.

Anyway, every place I've gone has also mentioned that I need to put these files in this folder titled "Library/Quicktime"

Right, well. I don't have a folder in my Library called such.

So, is it supposed to be there? Am I supposed to create it? Am I missing something that's probably right under my nose?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

- Jess.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Go ahead and create it, then place the files into it. It'll be recognized.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Really?

Thanks much <3 !
  • Reply 3 of 17
    The Quicktime folder needs to be in your HD/Library folder and not your Home/Library folder

For these QT items to work correctly and be recognized.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

The Quicktime folder needs to be in your HD/Library folder and not your Home/Library folder

For these QT items to work correctly and be recognized.

Why would they not work in the ~/Library folder?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    So should I move the files to the Library/Quicktime under my Mac HD folder?

The installation readme of the files said either ~/Library/Quicktime/ or /Library/Quicktime/
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quicktime looks more at the HD/Library/Quicktime folder as it is the main folder that things for QT are installed by most apps.

I tried to use the ~/library/QT folder a while back and things didn't seem to work correctly so I now use the HD/Library/QT folder and everything works as it should.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Thanks,

I'll relocate the files tonight when I get home from work to see if it works. I've not tried to play XVid here yet, only DivX. And can't try tos ee which way works yet anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Be careful with Xvid as it can cause sound loss in QT 7.1.3 or below.

If you would like a list of well tested and working codecs for QT let me know and I will list the ones I have been using since QT 7 was released without any problems.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Well, I just updated QT last night. (in attempt to figure out where my folder was.. hah...)

It's not the fact that I need xVid to encode videos, but more like watch ones that are encoded with it. So...

Not really sure how to get around that :P
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Try this one instead

XiphQT

which more ifo can be found here

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

It has done the job for me and you could also use

Perian_0.5 which can be found here

http://perian.org/
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Try this one instead

XiphQT

which more ifo can be found here

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

It has done the job for me and you could also use

Perian_0.5 which can be found here

http://perian.org/

Are those both for xVid? I don't see any information about xVid in the first file.

Though I don't know much about encoding really, except it's a form of compression, and there's usually a specific group of letters to title it... So... yeah. If xVid can be played by a Vorbis(?) codec...?

Maybe I shouldn't be up at 5am... ;D
  • Reply 12 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The easiest option is to play them with this:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

The easiest option is to play them with this:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I just downloaded VLC last night for other reasons, is it good to use as just my standard video/movie players?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective

I just downloaded VLC last night for other reasons, is it good to use as just my standard video/movie players?

Yes. The Intel version has some issues where it shows a green triangle on some movies but you just use the PPC version to get round that for the time being. The only areas where I dislike it is when I want to step through a movie frame by frame. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. The hotkey to skip through the movie (alt-command-arrow) is awkward too so I changed this in the OS X system prefs as you can override the hotkeys of apps using the keyboard setup panel. I just use the arrow keys now.

Besides that, I now use it as my default movie player. I just got fed up with Quicktime's lack of native mpeg-2 and AC3 support as well as the fact that VLC plays things like VideoCDs and DVDs easily. Your machine also doesn't go to sleep when VLC is playing whereas it will even when Quicktime is playing a movie.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Yes. The Intel version has some issues where it shows a green triangle on some movies but you just use the PPC version to get round that for the time being. The only areas where I dislike it is when I want to step through a movie frame by frame. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. The hotkey to skip through the movie (alt-command-arrow) is awkward too so I changed this in the OS X system prefs as you can override the hotkeys of apps using the keyboard setup panel. I just use the arrow keys now.

Besides that, I now use it as my default movie player. I just got fed up with Quicktime's lack of native mpeg-2 and AC3 support as well as the fact that VLC plays things like VideoCDs and DVDs easily. Your machine also doesn't go to sleep when VLC is playing whereas it will even when Quicktime is playing a movie.

OMG Thanks. Ahaa, this takes a lot of "UGH" out of watching movies on my mac.

Oh, and, can you run the PPC version on an Intel mac or? I'm slightly confused I got the intel one becuase that's what I'm on so...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

OMG Thanks. Ahaa, this takes a lot of "UGH" out of watching movies on my mac.

Yeah I hated that, I have my computer set to enter the password on wake up so every time it did it, it would keep playing the movie and I'd have to unlock the screen then rewind a few seconds back. I could've turned sleep off but I couldn't be bothered changing it all the time just for watching movies.

Quote:

Oh, and, can you run the PPC version on an Intel mac or? I'm slightly confused I got the intel one becuase that's what I'm on so...

Yeah the PPC version runs under Rosetta. It takes a bit longer to load but it works fine. I have mine named VLCIntel and VLCPPC so when I right-click and open with, I can choose which player I want to use. The Intel platform will run pretty much every PPC program if not all of them because the built-in Rosetta translator works at the system level and converts the code on the fly. In general, you are better using the Intel native versions because they are faster but for the odd occasion when the Intel version isn't quite right, you can use the PPC version.

I only use the PPC version of VLC when I get the green triangle.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Yeah I hated that, I have my computer set to enter the password on wake up so every time it did it, it would keep playing the movie and I'd have to unlock the screen then rewind a few seconds back. I could've turned sleep off but I couldn't be bothered changing it all the time just for watching movies.

Yeah the PPC version runs under Rosetta. It takes a bit longer to load but it works fine. I have mine named VLCIntel and VLCPPC so when I right-click and open with, I can choose which player I want to use. The Intel platform will run pretty much every PPC program if not all of them because the built-in Rosetta translator works at the system level and converts the code on the fly. In general, you are better using the Intel native versions because they are faster but for the odd occasion when the Intel version isn't quite right, you can use the PPC version.

I only use the PPC version of VLC when I get the green triangle.

Quicktime actually does prevent machine from going to sleep, when it's playing in fullscreen mode. Only problem is that it is only available in PRO mode, which is totally idiotic. Fullscreen playback should definitely be in unregistered version. I still find Quicktime 7 PRO the best media player for mac, but VLC is great free alternative. It just doesn't have the right Mac feel to it.