Apple Displays showing their age?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm currently torn between a 24" IMAC or a new low spec Mac Pro. I hopped over to Newegg and noticed that newer, nicer displays are available for much less than the current apple displays. What's everyone's opinion on the current line of apple displays sans the new 24" IMAC display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd go with the 24" iMac myself. The newer disaplys might be coming in January though.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phtb0y

I'm currently torn between a 24" IMAC or a new low spec Mac Pro. I hopped over to Newegg and noticed that newer, nicer displays are available for much less than the current apple displays. What's everyone's opinion on the current line of apple displays sans the new 24" IMAC display?

The ACD’s use S-IPS screens, which many of those ‘nicer’ displays on NewEgg do not. Without getting into a long discussion of the differences, suffice to say that S-IPS is considered by many the better technology for color reproduction and viewing angle, relative to TN, MVA or PVA. This is not to say the ACD is the best, or the other screens are crap – they are just different, and have their own advantages / disadvantages.

Before buying my 23 ACD two weeks ago, I looked at other monitors, especially from NewEgg – and came to the conclusion that I wanted an entry level S-IPS screen. I considered Eizo’s, which are superior to the ACD, but it was more screen then I thought I needed.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Nicer is a preference thing.

The ACDs are pretty close to calibrated out of the box. I happen to like them. Quite an improvement over the previous displays I've had in every way, though even the dimmest setting is sometimes too bright for me.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Can anyone provide a comparison to this

BenQ FP241W

Thanks.. I just dont know that much about monitors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Nicer is a preference thing.

The ACDs are pretty close to calibrated out of the box. I happen to like them. Quite an improvement over the previous displays I've had in every way, though even the dimmest setting is sometimes too bright for me.

• Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Can anyone provide a comparison to this

BenQ FP241W

Thanks.. I just dont know that much about monitors.

The BenQ is a PVA panel - not an S-IPS. Hard to make a direct comparsion.

BenQ: More inputs, cheaper?, 1 inch bigger.

Apple: 1 input, cost more, better / more accurate image color

- what are your intended use(s)?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Lots of Unix shells, some Dreamweaver (10-15%) of the time. Lots of Unix security stuff with Windows security stuff in Parallels.

Thing is.. I need a new monitor now.. sold the Imac G5 and am torn between an 24" Imac or getting a nice LCD and a MacPro when the quad core comes out so I can get a dual core cheaper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus

The BenQ is a PVA panel - not an S-IPS. Hard to make a direct comparsion.

BenQ: More inputs, cheaper?, 1 inch bigger.

Apple: 1 input, cost more, better / more accurate image color

- what are your intended use(s)?

• Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Lots of Unix shells, some Dreamweaver (10-15%) of the time. Lots of Unix security stuff with Windows security stuff in Parallels.

Thing is.. I need a new monitor now.. sold the Imac G5 and am torn between an 24" Imac or getting a nice LCD and a MacPro when the quad core comes out so I can get a dual core cheaper.

Have you looked at the Dell 2407? Last time I looked it was in the low to mid 600's. The BenQ has a lot of bells and whisles on it that are really not needed if that is what you are going to be doing.

Oh, and NEC and Phillips are both comming out with some new S-IPS monitors in the next month or two.

The ACD is a nice disply, but it might be overkill if that is what you are doing. Or said another way - the advantages of the ACD would not be used fully...IMHO
  • Reply 8 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Do you need a 24"? Because the NEC 20" I have is absolutely phenomenal, it's S-IPS plus a backlight that's better than Apple's, a glossy coating, and an absolute ton of inputs. For a good hundred bucks less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002320
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Do you need a 24"? Because the NEC 20" I have is absolutely phenomenal, it's S-IPS plus a backlight that's better than Apple's, a glossy coating, and an absolute ton of inputs. For a good hundred bucks less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002320

AFAIK, NEC is going to release a 24 inch version of this in Dec/Jan. I think the MSRP is 1400$, but I don't know. It will be the hot item for a while, so the price will be high.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    They're phenomenal displays.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Which ones? The NEC's ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

They're phenomenal displays.

• Reply 12 of 18
    Yeah.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I vote for NEC as well.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I looked at those displays.. nice for sure. I never thought I would be "that guy" but I guess I am.. I really love the way the Apple displays look. Do we know when the last time the 20 and 23" were updated?

Thanks.. and yes.. I have searched.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

I vote for NEC as well.

• Reply 15 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I looked at those displays.. nice for sure. I never thought I would be "that guy" but I guess I am.. I really love the way the Apple displays look. Do we know when the last time the 20 and 23" were updated?

Thanks.. and yes.. I have searched.

The brightness and contrast ratios of the 20" and 23" models were increased on August 2006. As far as I'm concerned, the additional brightness is meaningless in terms of usefulness (though probably means an update to the backlight), but the increased contrast ratios mean that they probably updated the panels.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Damnit.. are you serious!!??

Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The brightness and contrast ratios of the 20" and 23" models were increased on August 2006. As far as I'm concerned, the additional brightness is meaningless, but the increased contrast ratios mean that they probably updated the panels.

• Reply 17 of 18
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

I?m facing the same choice. I think I?m gonna go for the MacPro.

The big imac is a nice looking machine but it?s a closed system compared to the MacPro. Given how close they are in price--I think they are way too close--the MacPro is a better value. You probably already have (or have access to) a monitor you can use with the MacPro. You can use that monitor and take your sweet time looking around for a big monitor to upgrade to. The hp L2335 got very high marks... and better monitors are always on the horizon.

If you can hold out until the first half of next year, I?m fairly sure you?ll see the MacPro get upgraded with faster chips and you?ll get a new OS too. Hence it will be an even better value. At the very least, you?ll be able to get the current MacPro on sale either as refurbished equipment from Apple or sold from first generation buyers who want to dump it for the very lasted Pro offering.

In short: get the Pro over the big iMac.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Don't know about you guys but I absolutely love eizo monitors!