help me break my iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
after a long period in the repair shop my lemon of an iMac G5 is on it's way home with a new hard drive. This computer has been a liability since it was new, and I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can really put it the test to see if it will withstand "normal" usage. Apparently it's passed hardware test, but I am interested in simulating a sustained period of normal use (eg. running lots of apps simultaneously, things that will really be demanding on the processor, etc.) without me having to actually use it. eg. i actually have work to do and I don't want to be doing it on a machine that has died many times. thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    How about Handbreak encoding at a high quality level for CPU testing plus moving large files (or severl small ones) to and from the hard drive
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thanks, I'll give that a try
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    You could always run one of those protein folding programs. Zoom the screen as large as possible so you're taxing both CPU and GPU and let it run for a few days.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    protein folding? I'm not familiar. can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LukeF

protein folding? I'm not familiar. can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/NQS/index.html