Safari 3.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

To any ADC members (and other people with the Leopard Preview), has anyone looked into the RAM usage for Safari 3.0? I really like Safari, but it (along with any other WebKit/WebCore browser it seems) uses SO much RAM after only a short time browsing (like 100-200MB of Real RAM) and it starts to slow down pretty bad (even with 1.25GB of RAM in my Mac). I would really like to go back to Safari when Leopard comes out because I really liked the built-in RSS feature for one thing. (I'm using Camino+Vienna RSS right now). I was just curious if anyone has had any look into Safari 3.0.

thanks,

William

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Emptying caches is, in my experience, usually the best way to bring the snappiness back to Safari, regardless of how much real or virtual memory it's occupying.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ok. but why does it have to use so much RAM? Camino ranges from 50MB-maybe 75MB max on a heavy load (i.e. 3-4 tabs, etc).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Aggressive caching. Makes it faster when reloading pages, etc. You get speed, or you get free RAM... and considering MacOS X's outstanding VM, if you're not using RAM, you're just wasting it. FWIW, don't worry about how much RAM an app is taking unless it goes *TOTALLY* out of control on a gobbling rampage. (Or if you're running exceedingly low on disk space, like under a GB or two.)

Right now Safari is taking up 241MB of real RAM on my machine, and a total of 1.13GB of VM. It's not slowing down. My total VM size if just under 9GB, and things are still snappy across the apps.